Stainless Steel weapons getting rust - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have a fairly new stainless steel barrel gun that has developed a small amount of rust on the barrell in a few places. Has anyone else had this problem? what is best thing to do to clean material off? Its not the normal kind of rust you see on blued rifles.
yazoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Who is the manufacturer of the gun, if it is stainless, and rusting, it isn't quality SS. If it is a quality manufacturer (Rem, Ruger, Winchester, etc.), I would send it back and have them replace it.
slickyboyboo79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thompson Center Encore. I have noticed several others doing same thing.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would complain to the company. T/C should be better than that. You didn't pay as much as you did for a SS rifle, just to have it rust, even if it is only a little bit.
slickyboyboo79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree. I just talked to customer service rep for them and he said there barrels and frames are not totally SS. Said they have some alloys in them as well. Said a very fine emory cloth with oil takes it right off or they will refinish it for 40.00 if you wish to send it to them. Seems like nothing anymore is made of quality stuff. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
rt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo1
I agree. I just talked to customer service rep for them and he said there barrels and frames are not totally SS. Said they have some alloys in them as well. Said a very fine emory cloth with oil takes it right off or they will refinish it for 40.00 if you wish to send it to them. Seems like nothing anymore is made of quality stuff. Thanks for the help.
I don't think any gun barrels are actually made from 100% "stainless" steel. I'd use steel wool first, before resorting to the emery cloth...that's how you get rust off of a Blued gun anyway.
rt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo1
Thompson Center Encore. I have noticed several others doing same thing.
My T/C Encore Pro Hunter frame has a little rust on it. The muzzle loader barrel (also from T/C) has some rust on it. My .260 barrel is from Match Grade Machine and has no rust on it. I'm kind of disappointed, I'll have to break out the steel wool, I guess.
shane256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Although SS will take much more abuse than standard steel it still must be cleaned regularly and properly maintained or it will rust regaurdless of the quality. I like to use a product call "Flitz" it is the best i have seen on stainless steal. It should do the trick as long as it's only surface rust.
hillcountrycornshucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

My encore does the same,but other SS guns ive owned have not.I guess it could be a lesser grade metal.The MGM 35w Whelen barrel never rusted that i had ?
pfd42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrycornshucker
Although SS will take much more abuse than standard steel it still must be cleaned regularly and properly maintained or it will rust regaurdless of the quality. I like to use a product call "Flitz" it is the best i have seen on stainless steal. It should do the trick as long as it's only surface rust.
+1 on flitz . buy the time you pay shipping it will cost 100 dollars . sent a grey hawk back . still gets spots if not oiled . ss resists rust not prevents .
EAGLE 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.