Does coon hunting effect deer hunting? - Page 3 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #21 (permalink)

I walked up one a deer leaving a bow hunt and walked up on one she was spooked but trotted off. I do think bumping into her is going to change her. I think anytime we people or dogs bump them we affect them.
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Coon hunters will tell you NO and deer hunters will tell you yes. I dont have experience coon hunting but I do hog hunting with dogs. I can tell you that if you run a dog through the hogs bedroom enough that they change bedrooms. I have seen it time and time again. I would think that if you constantly coon hunted the same scotch of woods and it was where the deer bedded I personally think they would move. Could be wrong though.
thegroundskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroundskeeper
Coon hunters will tell you NO and deer hunters will tell you yes. I dont have experience coon hunting but I do hog hunting with dogs. I can tell you that if you run a dog through the hogs bedroom enough that they change bedrooms. I have seen it time and time again. I would think that if you constantly coon hunted the same scotch of woods and it was where the deer bedded I personally think they would move. Could be wrong though.
True COON dogs don't run deer anywhere, including through their bedrooms......COON dogs run coon, period.
mdmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrison
True COON dogs don't run deer anywhere, including through their bedrooms......COON dogs run coon, period.
and if those coons are in the deer bedrooms the dogs will run through there after the coons.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroundskeeper
and if those coons are in the deer bedrooms the dogs will run through there after the coons.
Yes, but again, they are not after the deer, but rather, the coons.....I've walked into too many trees at night to count, with a dog having been there for quite a long time barking his/her azz off, only to find deer either hunkered down or slipping around the immediate area.....

Fact of the matter is, too much intrusion from any source on a regular basis, regardless of the time of day, can indeed adversely affect wildlife habits. The mere fact that coons are hunted with BROKE/Bona Fide dogs in the area in which deer are to be likewise hunted does not amount to a hill of beans........If a fella can't kill deer in those same areas, he prolly needs to come up with another excuse.........

On a related note, I have deer on my property that routinely bed, graze and raise their fawns within a stones throw from my kennels.....biggest worry they have is getting run off by the cows and horses in the pasture......

Most prey animals, such as deer, know when they're in danger.....Heck, watch footage of prey animals in Africa feeding and watering within easy sight distance of apex predators....They know when they're on the menu, versus when they're free to hang out and fulfill their daily routine amongst those that would otherwise kill them......
mdmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #26 (permalink)

I agree, that is why I stated constantly. I have also seen my dogs running hogs through a pine thicket and deer are running out every direction trying to get away. I have seen them stay put as well.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

I have deer rubbing trees 20yds from my kennel. I turn my dogs out daily to clean the pens. I walk outside in the mornings to go to work and deer snort at me. They know when they are and aren't in danger.
mississippiboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

The ones that come running out of the brush when my dogs are chasing hogs don't seem to know that much yet! Neither do the ones that walk out in front of hunters in shooting houses and stands every winter. They don't seem to know they are in danger, or maybe they do know and just don't care!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #29 (permalink)

I've got a feeder I work my pup around every afternoon and then just about every night. I don't have anything but deer tracks at the feeder so I borrowed a camera stuck it up this morning and got pics of the stupid deer at 4:15 this afternoon. I don't deer hunt at all and wished somebody would kill them all so they will stop eating at my training feeder!! These deer ain't bothered at all by me stomping around with my dogs day or night
bubu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #30 (permalink)

The studies that have been completed on this issue all have come to the same findings. The radio collar deer being monitored stayed in their home area and did not find another home or core area, unlike wild hogs would do. There seemed to be a slight advantage for deer hunters on lands that were coon hunted the night before versus lands that were not coon hunted. The findings show that daytime deer movement increased on lands being coon hunted. I've hunted both the majority of my life and it has never EVER move a big deer off the property I was hunting.
keith watson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.