Catching Crawfish - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just wondering how many guy even try to catch them.
widowson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

I do!

Got a crawfish rack and get them out the swamp.I also set alot of traps and catch abunch and have a crawfish boil they good.
Ol' Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have and with good success...You can take a two liter bottle, cut the part that is a funnel off and turn in inside out and insert it back into the bottle...secure it with bread ties or wire...make sure to cut some small holes in the bottle so it will sink quickly...I caught some bream out of my pond and cut them up for bait...put them inside along with some rocks for wieght...I have several creeks runing throughout my land and have never had a problem catching crawfish using this method...I have also caught a snake and leaches doing this...I would make several and put them in different spots to maximize production...
death_of_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

I catch them for bait. A crawfish rake is what I use mostly, but traps work to. The most I have ever seen caught was in a cow pond using a minnow seine. It was unreal how many we caught. Probably 30-35 pounds in a half hour.
MATT K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
MOE

I have. I used to use a rake but I don't have it anymore. Now I just use a dip net with a long handle. The rake worked much better.
MOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm thinking about building myself a rake this year. My dad had one when I was a kid and it worked great. Just about any ditch on the side of the road that held water for any amount of time would be full of them.
taproot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

I do for bait.I use a rake
bigtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Speaking of crawfish..I had an engineer out of Indiana here yesterday and dragged him to the place on Old Canton last night. We wolfed down 10 lbs along with the fixins, a six-pack, and a roll of paper towels.

This guy is like..hooked for life. He just couldn't believe how good it is and had me taking pictures of him up to his elbows in bugs to send to him.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've used a crawfish rake in ditches and castnet in ponds that aren't full brush and hang ups. Sometimes I'll go to shallow areas 1-2 foot and toss out pieces of ham or other lunch meat and come back about 15-20 mins later and throw the castnet over the area. Works real good. Crawfish traps do really good for me back in swamps where it's really brushy and all. I usually bait them up with fresh cut fish and salt pork.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Have been building my own crawfish traps for years out of hardware cloth. Work just as good as the store bought ones and gives me something to do on rainy days when Im bored. Bait with bacon or cut up shad from one of the spillways I fish and load up. Reminds me of when I was a kid just learning how to catch them.
TenX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.