Stocking a 1.25 acre lake - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Haven't checked out the fishing side of the forum.

I have a 1.25 acre spring fed lake. It has some cover and it used to have catfish in it when I was growin up. It always has water in it throughout the year. At its deepest, its probably 8-10'. However, it hasn't been fished in years and we are looking to stock it. What's the advice? What species and where should I get them. The lake is located in Fulton, MS.

Thanks,
Brent
brentfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

first thing I would do is fish it and see what's in there. Do some bass fishing, bream, and cat. See what the dominate species is. You might have a ton of stunted bass that need to be cleaned out. You might have a lot of full size bream that need to be cleaned out. What is your goal?
mdb128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
fig

Have you considered poisoning the pond and starting from scratch? At least you would know what you have and what you can expect out of your pond.
fig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig
Have you considered poisoning the pond and starting from scratch? At least you would know what you have and what you can expect out of your pond.
Why would you poison it and kill all the fish? You can easily rent equipment and break the dam, the seine it, sure it may cost more but you should get plenty of fish for the freezer.
danielbullock29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb128
first thing I would do is fish it and see what's in there. Do some bass fishing, bream, and cat. See what the dominate species is. You might have a ton of stunted bass that need to be cleaned out. You might have a lot of full size bream that need to be cleaned out. What is your goal?
????
Jacob37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb128
first thing I would do is fish it and see what's in there. Do some bass fishing, bream, and cat. See what the dominate species is.
+1 I'd fish it or have someone dive in it if you know any divers. I don't think you should poison/damage the pond if you plan on adding fish or bringing it back to life
JLadner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Brent,

I is highly likely the fish population is not in the best of condition. It will probably have some fish it, but the quality will probably not be much. If that is the case, you have two options: kill it and start over or work with what you have. Depending on what you want out of the lake will determine the best course of action.

If you want LMB/BG fishery kill it. If you want catfish only, you can probably work with what you have.

If you decide to kill it, your most economical option will be rotenone. If you break the levee that will be considerable cost to repair the break. If you can get a pump and take a large volume of water out of it that would be best. This process is best done in late summer/early fall. Less rain then. Also, this gives you all spring and summer to catch whatever fish are in there.

Stocking should take place in the fall.

Pond
pond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Break the dam? Hire divers? Is this a joke? Good grief. He isnt looking for the titanic. Kill it and start over. Then you will not have that question in the back of your head about whats left in it. You will know 100 percent what you have and can see your progress. You cant beat catfish and redear shellcracker for eating.
88hater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wouldn't hire divers either. I know on the coast at least there are lots of people who dive recreationally/spear fishing. I know lots of guys who would like to dive for free
JLadner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Try Southeastern Pond Management (http://www.sepond.com/)to survey the pond. A friend of mine had SE Pond to do survey the population and how to improve the pond. If I remember correctly,it was reasonably priced. Your county agent may have some advice as well.
wareagle78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.