Grenada Lake Spillway being drained this morning - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

The corps is doing maintenance work and is pumping it dry. Hear they are letting folks scoop up fish with dip nets and buckets.
Gar hole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

From what I've heard the reason the bass has come back this year so strong is because it has stayed full the last two years. Will this reset the clock?
Smoke68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

they were out in force with dipnets as of an hr ago. Smoke, it wont effect the lake bass, this is just a small are BELOW the spillway, thay are not releasing any water from the lake for a few days , spillway is completley shut off.
mrgoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke68
From what I've heard the reason the bass has come back this year so strong is because it has stayed full the last two years. Will this reset the clock?
Smoke, I honestly believe the comeback is more to do with the slot limit that had been on the lake, I remember the old days when you could drive to the mouth of Turkey creek where it ran into Skuna river in the spring and we had great summer and fall time fishing. Very excited about the bass prospects this fall on Grenada, it's gonna get good when they do start letting some water out!!
rees guide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Can anyone post any pics??
DOUGLASVEST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGLASVEST
Can anyone post any pics??
Didn't even think about that when we went across this morning, they have built a dam of dirt all the way across the river maybe 100 feet below the outlet. If no one has posted a pic by Friday morning I will take one on my way to Jackson and post it for ya.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

I bet that was a sight, all the people with dipnets chasing after some fish...

We stayed there below the spillway at the campgrounds the weekend of the Bull Boil/ MBA banquet, with all the rain that night the next morning the river had risen about 10 feet and we had to evacuate the campground ASAP as it was already trickling above the rocks and flooding the lowlands, that seemed like a dangerous area to have a campground, we didn't know about the area by the pavilion where the Bull boil was until after we had already set up the trailer. After hearing about the campground that flooded in Arkansas it just kind of reinforced that fact that if something ever happened to the levee or the flood outlet the campers could be goners in a hurry.
gibowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wished i was there to get some of my fishin stuff back and some fish!!!
STILLHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

They have done this before, but I think it was quiet a while back, maybe 10 years or so?????
danielw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

2005, there was an article in the paper today and it is regular maintanence done every 5 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.