Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Trailer Maintenance

773 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Troutman 
#1 ·
I need to complete some trailer maintenance that requires my boat to be off the trailer a couple days or possibly a week. Just looking to see what everyone else does when they need to have the boat off the trailer. I'm not a big fan of leaving the boat unattended or in a situation where it can just be drove off. I also don't want to be in a hurry to get it done and possible half ass my work. Just looking for a few ideas from the guys with the bigger boats I have a 21 Cape Craft Bay boat. Thanks for your suggestions [confused]

#3 ·
I need to complete some trailer maintenance that requires my boat to be off the trailer a couple days or possibly a week. Just looking to see what everyone else does when they need to have the boat off the trailer. I'm not a big fan of leaving the boat unattended or in a situation where it can just be drove off. I also don't want to be in a hurry to get it done and possible half ass my work. Just looking for a few ideas from the guys with the bigger boats I have a 21 Cape Craft Bay boat. Thanks for your suggestions
Not sure where you are located, but my buddy runs the Portage Marina in Pass Christian. I'm sure he would rent a slip to you for cheap. It would be on a lift safe and sound with cameras, and gated access.

If you are interested give Joe a call at
(228) 760-4157 and make sure you tell him Kyle Johnson sent ya.

#6 · (Edited)
A 21' boat is hardly a "bigger boat" when it comes to getting it off the trailer for trailer work. Just get yourself some concrete blocks and wood and lift it off the trailer. You can either pull the trailer out after it is up or just leave it there and work on the trailer with the boat above it. I did a complete trailer rebuild with a 26' 7,000lb Dusky inboard sitting on blocks above the trailer. Use one set of blocks on each side under the transom and one set of blocks under the keel forward with a wood V cut in the shape of the hull.

If you want to pull the trailer completely out, you'll need a 4th set so that you can hold the bow up while you pull the crossmember and axle past the blocks. First bow set will go well forward of where you really want them. Pull the boat forward until the crossmember or axle is to the forward block set then place another set just aft of the obstruction and lift it onto that set. Remove the first set then pull the trailer further forward. When the trailer is rebuilt, simply reverse the process. It almost takes longer to explain it than to actually do it.

#7 ·
A 21' boat is hardly a "bigger boat" when it comes to getting it off the trailer for trailer work. Just get yourself some concrete blocks and wood and lift it off the trailer. You can either pull the trailer out after it is up or just leave it there and work on the trailer with the boat above it. I did a complete trailer rebuild with a 26' 7,000lb Dusky inboard sitting on blocks above the trailer. Use one set of blocks on each side under the transom and one set of blocks under the keel forward with a wood V cut in the shape of the hull.

If you want to pull the trailer completely out, you'll need a 4th set so that you can hold the bow up while you pull the crossmember and axle past the blocks. First bow set will go well forward of where you really want them. Pull the boat forward until the crossmember or axle is to the forward block set then place another set just aft of the obstruction and lift it onto that set. Remove the first set then pull the trailer further forward. When the trailer is rebuilt, simply reverse the process. It almost takes longer to explain it than to actually do it.
I have done the same with a 20' Grady White but when others mentioned a cheap slip rental for a week, that sure sounds like an easy alternative to the process i did

#9 ·
here is one other idea but I have no idea if it would fly.

Boardwalk Marina Bait Shop owners also offer boat detailing. They are a separate company/business from the Marina owners but obviously work hand-in-hand. It might be worth a call (if you also want your boat detailed) & ask Timmy if you can motor your boat there, have the crane put it on blocks for the detail job (2-3 days) and work on your trailer during that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.