Pigfish ? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pigfish ?

Hello everyone I still lurk the forums and glean what little info i can. Its about time for my bi-annual trip to Gulfport and I was wondering if there were any pigfish in the area. I mostly fish from Long Beach to Ocean Springs. I have some success with croakers and mullet, I just noticed a lack of talk on the forum about pigfish. This was our go to bait when I lived in Central Florida. Just wondering about this. I want to think everyone who frequents the forum and isn't shy about giving info. I usually just dont like to post because I forget to reply or give thanks.
JdNash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
sj

Never heard of anyone throughout this area using pigfish/grunts as bait but that doesn't mean some don't use them.

Last edited by sj; 06-17-2017 at 09:03 PM.
sj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Some people use them but use a trap to catch them. Baits shops don't sell them (think you are talking about pinfish... local name. Piggyperch in Texas? Unless you are talking about something else?). I use to catch them pre-Katrina under the old Biloxi D'Iberville bridge next to Gollott's seafood in a regular Bull Minnow trap. Used shrimp or crab for bait. There were a lot of rocks and shells under that bridge, always thought that's what held them there in schools. Was nothing to catch 3 dozen in an hour or so. Great bait for big trout. I was using live shrimp for bait about 15 years ago near Keesler (early fall) and caught about a 5 in pinfish. Hooked him on a different rod under a cork and cast him out... few min later, 6 lbs trout
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have fished a ton in the bay around D'Iberville havent caught any on hook or in the net. Was just wondering if I was missing something. According to all info they are in the area as they spawn around the islands early in the summer then move into the bays. Might set a fish trap next trip and see what I get. Thanks for the replies. Troutman they are similiar to a pinfish in looks except the mouth, they grunt like a croaker. Might be the like saltier or clearer water. Although I used to catch them in the canal in Forida.

Last edited by JdNash; 06-17-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think i know the fish you are reffering to. We call them grunts. Never really catch them in any numbers just an incedental here and there. Make good cut bait
Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimer_firefighter_790 View Post
I think i know the fish you are reffering to. We call them grunts. Never really catch them in any numbers just an incedental here and there. Make good cut bait
Ok wasnt sure what the local name was for them. They make excellent Speck, Snook and Redfish bait live also. Caught my biggest speck on one just over 7 lbs many years ago when I was 13.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I was a kid I use to catch pinfish and back then what we use to call a Pensacola grunt around the old wooden Biloxi harbor docks . Hand line light line with a small hook with a small piece of shrimp next to a pylon . Pensacola grunts are common in Florida , mostly used for live baiting snapper . You can tell a grunt by it's orange lips .

Last edited by captjim; 06-17-2017 at 10:51 PM.
captjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Pigfish are common around solid structure at the Islands. I've caught a few near Deer Island, but not anything consistent and way too big for any but the largest trout. If they are big enough to filet they're good eating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.