blue crabs - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

bought me a few traps to use this year. Any idea when the blue crabs start showing up in good numbers in the back bay?
mikezulu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Everywhere! Once it warms up, any dock/rocks will hold alot of them. They can be downright annoying when my girls are trying to catch crokers/drum with dead shrimp.
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah I've got a good idea on where I'm putting them just not sure when. was thinking around may or so
mikezulu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Id say you could put em out now, I caught a bunch last week while fishing. They are definitely out of the mud.
afogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

They're out now. Actually they never left the shallower water over the winter. Been filling up the traps all winter long.
Marsh Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

whats the laws reguarding traps for personal use only....any limit on number you can use or gotta tag them?
shane704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've often wondered where the ideal spots in Biloxi Bay are as well. It seems pots are scattered all over the place with no pattern. In the Louisiana marsh they seem to always be placed near the drop off in bayous and lakes.

Shane, there are specific regulations for recreational crab traps in MS. I'd suggest pulling up the DMR website. I think it is a limit of 6 pots per person and yes you need some sort of tag on each pot / float.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman
I've often wondered where the ideal spots in Biloxi Bay are as well. It seems pots are scattered all over the place with no pattern. In the Louisiana marsh they seem to always be placed near the drop off in bayous and lakes.

Shane, there are specific regulations for recreational crab traps in MS. I'd suggest pulling up the DMR website. I think it is a limit of 6 pots per person and yes you need some sort of tag on each pot / float.
2011-2012 season was $5 for recreational crab license for up to 6 pots for personal use. The license is for traps/pots only. All other forms of catching equipment are covered under your saltwater license. I called and verified this with DMR last summer. There are some regs on using the pots that you need to be aware of. When reading the regs, "traps" are for pots only. A trap, as described by DMR to me, are devices that the crab cannot exit at will once they enter. A net or lay flat basket they can leave at will.
8fishermen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8fishermen
2011-2012 season was $5 for recreational crab license for up to 6 pots for personal use. The license is for traps/pots only. All other forms of catching equipment are covered under your saltwater license. I called and verified this with DMR last summer. There are some regs on using the pots that you need to be aware of. When reading the regs, "traps" are for pots only. A trap, as described by DMR to me, are devices that the crab cannot exit at will once they enter. A net or lay flat basket they can leave at will.
I thought the Saltwater Fishing license covered catching crabs in pots?

I know a game warden was out not long ago checking things and to my knowledge never mentioned to anyone about the pots they had on the pier.

As for blue crabs, last 3 days here in Ocean Springs they been out like flies, between them grabbing your fishing bait and getting in crab pots, they been pretty populated. I actually wish they would simmer down a little so Reds and all will look more at peoples fishing bait than all these crabs out and about, Reds have been rare the last 3 days when all the crabs came out to.
vrillon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

vrillon,

take one of those fresh crabs and use for bait. Rip the back off, cut in half through the mid-cavity and then cut into chunks where you have good size chamber of meat with a leg still attached (ends up being a piece of bait that is the same size as a big shrimp). If there are big reds or drum in the area, they will find it.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.