Shooting house plans - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am thinking of building some shooting houses after the season before the snakes start to crawl again. I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to share a materials list and maybe a sketch or something. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
tweeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

It would be of some help to go look at a few if you have access to some and come up with the style and size that fits you. Some people need little larger like 4 ft by 6ft one if they hunt with kids or spouse, some like a small one like (4 ft by 4 ft). I LIKE (4 FT BY 6FT) or (4ft by 5 ft) because I am always takeing one of my boys with me. You can look at one and get a close figure on materials needed. Good luck!
huntal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I personally like a 4 X 8 and am fixxen to build some that are either 6 X 6 or 6 X 8. That way they could be bowhunted out of, being able to sit in the stand with a rookie bowhunter is bonus for the rookie.
rees guide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are close to the golden triangle you are more than welcome to come look at mine and take measurements
tha bugman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

From the old MDWFP site this one is listed. There is also a topic about it at Camo Box Stand from the old mdwfp forum

Box stand plans - here they are
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgreg21 (from old forum)
These are measured 4 ft deep x 5 1/2 ft wide and 57 inches tall made for 2 people to sit in comfortably. You will have to duck down to get in but once you sit down you have plenty of room. Also, you can adjust the height measurements if needed. I did the short height to save wood. If you plan your cuts right before hand, I used 4 1/2 sheets of OSB per house and 1 sheet of the 3/4 flooring. If you decide to go with a 4 x 4 ft house, that you can get by with even less sheets.

I used 4 x 4 for the bottom skids. Since I do not know what kind of carpentry skills the people I am sending this to have, I gave details on rails, so please forgive me if it is overkill.

I used 7/16" OSB plywood for the sides and top and put tin on top also. I was able to find some dark green exterior OOPS! paint at Lowe's for $5. You can also find these OOPS cans at Home Depot or Walmart (basically the color is not exact as the customer wanted and they put them on sale). Anyway, for the floor, I used like a 3/4" piece of subfloor type material from Lowe's. After rolling exterior paint on, I took some black and brown spray paint and made zigzag type patterns for breakup. I also put a piece of carpet down in the bottom to help with the shuffling of feet noise for children. One other thing I did was I got a few strips of that black pipe insulation and split them down the middle and put on the window ledge openings to make it quiet when you rest your gun on it. One last thing. I went to walmart and got some cheap clearance camp pattern for curtains. I cut them to size and had my wife hot glue a cuff in them. I ran a piece of nylon strin through them and hung them with nails in the shoothouse. This cuts down wind drift and also allows you to only open a little piece of the window to see\shoot out of.

Born to hunt
Nogocyclist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.
tweeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

It really depends on where the stand is going and what your intentions are. I like 6x6 but the problem with them is if you are sitting in the middle you have to move to shoot out the sides. 5x5 or 5x6 is better. 4 x 8 works great if you are looking in one direction like overlooking a big field or something. 4x4 is too small for two people to sit in and not be crowed. Also, i'd build it at least 7' clear hieght on the inside. It's nice to be able to stand up and streach without banging your head, arms or guns on the roof. I'm working on some plans for a 5x6 stand that utilized 4x8 plywood very well. i'll post them in a couple weeks when i have time to finish the plans.

bow hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here is some drawings I did a few years ago. I built a few of these and they work good for two people. Als, a friend of mine used the drawings but made his base of 4x4 post work just the same. If they are two small I could email a pdf. I used some flexible roll foofing instead of plywood. If you use plywood you could get away with less framing for stability.

SHOOT EM STRUTTIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

EXCELLENT DRAWING!
BIG COUNTRY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.