Post-Rut........ - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

How do you guys hunt post-rut? I've always heard that post-rut was the time to hunt food plots. Any particular calls you use? (i.e. do you put the grunt away, lose your "can" etc.) Just wondering what other folks try and do when the movement slows down after the rut crashes.
huntinhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I still hunt the same. I follow the sign. I still hunt the thickest crap I can find. Hunt bedding or trails from bedding to food source. I dont like to hunt plots, they are for my kids, wife, and guests. Bucks will still walk down wind of plots to check for danger or other deer. Good luck to ya.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I love hunting plots late especially when it gets really cold. Or right behind or in front of a cold front. Usually calling won't have much affect because alot of them are wore down. I have had a couple of nice deer become real visible late. And killed my best ever on Jan 28th after seeing him exactly a week before come off the exact same trail when I was bowhunting. The worst part about it is alot of people mow down young bucks that time of year and wipeout next seasons bucks out of frustration.
dosse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would rather hunt the post rut than the pre rut or the rut in the southeast. Bare with me and I will explain my logic best I can. In past experience pre rut doesn't seem to change movement but just a little, while at the same time calls and scents are not that affective simply bc their only gearing up for the rut. I hunt pre rut same as I have before it while only adding a small amount of prospective calling. As far as the peak rut I do like it bc movement of bucks does increase quite a bit but with the large population of does that we have giving us around a 4 to 1 buck to do ratio for my area making calls still not quite as effective bc there are plenty of does to go around so bucks don't have to compete for does as much so I hunt where my does are wheather it be a food foot, thicket, or whatever hoping to catch a buck chasing. Now for the post rut most of youre does have been bred by now so there's only a handful of hott does left still in heat so therefore bucks are steadily cruising trying to find a hott doe like a parent trying to find that hott item thats sold out everywhere for there kid the day before Christmas. Calls are much more effective now bc bucks are still just as worked up as before but youre chances of catching him without the live hott doe are a lot better. And with the limited number of does left unbred bucks are more willing to compete for them. I use calling more this time of year than any other and hunt my travel corridors mainly bc bucks are gona be cruising them constantly looking for another doe left. I know some are going to disagree with my logic but its worked well for me every year so the proof is in the pudding and im gona stick with what works.
pbrjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrjosh
I would rather hunt the post rut than the pre rut or the rut in the southeast. Bare with me and I will explain my logic best I can. In past experience pre rut doesn't seem to change movement but just a little, while at the same time calls and scents are not that affective simply bc their only gearing up for the rut. I hunt pre rut same as I have before it while only adding a small amount of prospective calling. As far as the peak rut I do like it bc movement of bucks does increase quite a bit but with the large population of does that we have giving us around a 4 to 1 buck to do ratio for my area making calls still not quite as effective bc there are plenty of does to go around so bucks don't have to compete for does as much so I hunt where my does are wheather it be a food foot, thicket, or whatever hoping to catch a buck chasing. Now for the post rut most of youre does have been bred by now so there's only a handful of hott does left still in heat so therefore bucks are steadily cruising trying to find a hott doe like a parent trying to find that hott item thats sold out everywhere for there kid the day before Christmas. Calls are much more effective now bc bucks are still just as worked up as before but youre chances of catching him without the live hott doe are a lot better. And with the limited number of does left unbred bucks are more willing to compete for them. I use calling more this time of year than any other and hunt my travel corridors mainly bc bucks are gona be cruising them constantly looking for another doe left. I know some are going to disagree with my logic but its worked well for me every year so the proof is in the pudding and im gona stick with what works.

i like that logic
sawlogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrjosh
I like that logic pbr. I also agree with you Wldlfpopcntrlxprt, about plots being for guests and kids and such. I like to put guests (who are good friends and don't get to hunt much b/c of work) on plots to give them the best chance. Personally, I get bored sitting overlooking a plot, but I find myself sitting over them more and more the later it gets in the season. The plots are just so... empty, sometimes. Easy to get discouraged when you constantly sit on plots and don't see anything.
huntinhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.