How long does the rut last? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I participated in a handicap hunt the last few days. What a blessing it was.
I plan to head back up to Claiborn County next weekend. I was up there the week of Christmas and saw broke up bucks with lots of battle scares on their necks. Also saw lots of bucks and does feeding on the plots, together!!! According to the state, our prime breeding period was around Jan 2-4. Is this when the rut fully kicks off? And how long should we expect to see chasing?
Just curious what you guys have seen over the years.
badrury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

If I am not mistaken, a doe will stay in heat for 3 to 7 days. If she isn't bred, she will come in again in 28 days. Some of you guys that know a little more about it correct me if I am wrong.
xomcompmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I hunt down below Claiborn county in Jefferson and will state that I believe the total rut is spread out over at least 4 months if not 6 these days. We saw a fawn with faded spots while getting onto the Trace from Hwy 61 north of Natchez on New Years Day. Not sure how old a fawn is when the spots disappear, but this is the latest I have ever seen spotted fawns, last year it was mid December, and for several years before that it had gotten to where it was not unusual to see spots at the beginning of the 1st gun season.

The rut, in our area, has spread out considerably in the last few years compared to the late 80's early 90's which I firmly believe is secondary to the dramatic doe harvest that occurred starting in the mid 1990's when the all season doe season was implemented. I believe that had we dropped the buck harvest to only 2 bucks and the MDWFP had aggressively responded to tips of over harvest enough to help curtail it we would have saved more bucks while lowering doe numbers bringing about a better ratio quicker.

If we had 10:1 ratio of does:bucks and still killed 3 bucks we each would have had to kill 20+ does each to get the ratio where it was desired which would have basically decimated the entire herd. Oh wait, that is what the auto insurance industry wants, silly me, I momentarily forgot who is calling the shots and for what reason.
bucmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

The more "out of whack" your doe to buck ratio is, the longer the rut will last. Most parts of SW Mississippi, the rut starts in mid to late December, peaks in Jan and Feb, and finishes in March or sometimes even April. Spotted fawns in October and November is a dead giveaway to a high number of does per buck. I've seen them chasing in late March (turkey season) which guarantees November spotted fawns.
Rocko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
W

On a tight buck to doe ratio, I've seen it last for only a few days.
W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I saw a pair of spotted Fawns last year in early March beside the road next to a doe that had been hit in Wayne County.
pierboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierboy01
I saw a pair of spotted Fawns last year in early March beside the road next to a doe that had been hit in Wayne County.
Now that's messed up....
MSSURVEYOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is something I've always wondered about.....We have always been told that the better your buck to doe ratio is the rut will be shorter and alot more intense due to the competition for fewer does. Assuming that is true, why is the secondary rut not more intense than the first? Most does are bred the first time they are in heat so there will be alot less does to be bred during this secondary rut. You would think the second rut would be insane.....anyone have an answer???
SNOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've also had spotted fawns on game cams at Christmas. Pretty messed up.
I don't know how messed up our buck to doe ratio is. I also would think the second rut would be more intense. But, it seems that our rut never really hits hard and seems to last all of January.
badrury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

About 6 months here in Mississippi!?!
STONEPONY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.