Weapon of Choice Legislation HB1139 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

From the opening day of gun season through the end of the deer season on private land...provided that the hunter still buys a PW license.

The final nail in the coffin for the PW season? I don't have strong feelings about this either way but I thought it might make an interesting discussion piece.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/HB1139CS.htm
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Like! The PW rules were rediculous anyway. Anyone want to buy a slightly used HR in .35 Remington or a CVA APEX in .35 Whelen? LOL.
wetland man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

This needs to get threw out QUICK.
aiden_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Like you, I really couldn't care less. However it does highlight the slipery slope argument against tinkering with archery season. I use a state defined primitive .35 for most of the season anyway. Unless I am going somewhere that a 300 yard shot is expected, I just assume hit them with that big old .35 chunk of lead!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I noticed the season structure did not include the early doe only PW season
QDM4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdm4fun
I noticed the season structure did not include the early doe only PW season
No need to have it if you can shoot any weapon you choose from the opener of gun till Ja. 31st on privet land.
Limb Hanger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

With the early PW gone, it moves the gun opener back to the traditional date
QDM4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

The early PW season is not set by the legislature; rather the MDWFP under a special "suplus" law. I don't see anything here that would negate that option.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

I do like this. It does illustrate that these regs are indeed all about the money. I will still hunt with my recently purchased CVA Apex in .35 Whelen cause I'm growning rather fond of the gun. I'm glad my dad will be able to hunt with a caliber that doesn't have the recoil of the larger PW calibers since he's getting older now.
wetland man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

The original purpose for primitive weapons in the first place was the now convoluted term ?opportunity? at a time when deer numbers were far less than what they are today. People wanted to spend more time in the woods without depleting the resource. Archers had the most liberal seasons because they had the lowest ratio of man hours to harvest. So looking at this from strictly a deer management prospective it would seem logical that primitive weapons and archery have outlived their usefulness.

But from a deer hunters prospective, and they are the ones who fund this engine, deer hunting is way more emotional than logical. It is a SPORT and not a BUSINESS although certain entities are doing their best to change this. Top racks bring top dollar and has a trickling down effect starting at the price of land. What is a $200,000 hunting club, or a high fence facility, or even a high hunting lease worth without big racks? Heck hunters lose sacred ground by simply posting pictures of big racks on the internet.

It seems reasonable to think that the easier it is to ?buy? a big rack the more aggravated this problem will become. And look at all the mess that starts coming out of the state legislature. Sibbyu said it best on here last year when foretold that these people know what they are doing and will win, like consuming a whole elephant, one small bite at a time.

I think the answer is relatively simple. Anything that reeks of commercialization of our wildlife resources needs to be rejected and strongly contested. And if you don?t think the majority of whats going on at the state capital right now has a strong offensive odor to it, well, then, good day and good night!
gvirden is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.