Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

What is your favorite squirrel gun

4K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Shooter 
#1 ·
Mine is a ruger 10/22 international with a hawke 3x9x40 22 scope.

#2 ·
That all depends on my mood for the day. It is just so much fun to shoot a shotgun. Although I will only go a couple of times with a shotgun(I hate picking out pellets in the meat), It's just something about that boom stick! I usually carry the 870 Wingmaster my father gave me when I was 12. I also like my Savage 93R17 .17 HMR topped with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3x9x40. Great shooting gun. I also have a Marlin Model 60 with a 3x9x40 scope that shoots pretty sweet. Not expensive guns, but they work well and are a pile of fun to shoot!

#3 ·
IDK anybody but children squirrel hunt with shotguns...??

My "favorite" is a Ruger #1B converted to 22LR with a Shilen barrel on it. It is the one I shut my great uncle up with once when he questioned whether or not I could kill enough squirrels to have a family meal of biscuits & gravy (lets just say it was well over the limit, and leave it at that)...but it ain't mine, and it's awful heavy for long hikes.
Most frequently used is a 10/22 with a Green Mountain 16.5" fluted bull barrel, Power Custom hammer (<3lb trigger) and a 4-12x40mmAO Bushnell 3200 Elite scope.

#20 ·
.270 everyone knows that is about all they good for.
Some times I have to finish them off with a 12 ga. 870 32" full choke.
This sounds like a post from the now gone MDWFP forum. .270s got ragged on a lot and one or two got testy about it. As best I could tell it was all in fun but it is hard to read emotion and intent in a forum post sometimes. I kinda miss that forum.

I hunt almost exclusively with a rimfire and my preffered round is the CCI Segmented Subsonic hollwpoint. They have been hard to find the last few years. If anyone sees any on a shelf PLEASE PM me the location. The last I found were twice what I paid in the past but I bought them anyway. When I can't find any I use SK Subsonic HP and they are just as expensive but easier to find. The only problem is the lube they put on the SK rounds feels like they are dipped in Wesson oil. You can't carry them in a pocket, even loaded in a magazine, or every piece of lint, dirt and grit sticks to them.

If ya see any CCI Segmented Subsonic please let me know. Thanks!

#15 ·
Squirrel Gun

Gone back to my roots. My dad had a 12 ga. Fox Model B with 28" modified and full choke barrels that would bring them out of the tops. I picked an identical one up several years ago just for that purpose. It, like the one dad had, will rock you when you pull the trigger, but I feel as if I've gone home when I'm carrying it.

#23 ·
favorite thing to do is have a friend go with me. one of us carries my Mossberg 500 410 guage and the other my savage 22 with a 3-9x40. has worked well for us.

#28 ·
One of my biggest gun selling mistakes was getting rid of a TC Cherokee with a .45 and a .32 barrel. Short and light so it was easy handling in the thick brush and accurate enough to make most shots seem easy. I later bought a Crocket .32 to replace it. Both gun safes were under about six feet of water during Katrina and I gave it away. I didn't have the heart or a place to clean everything up so all but a couple went to folks that had time and a place to repair them.

I haven't thought about those pea shooters in a long time. I might need to start looking for another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.