Dove fields - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dove fields

Anyone planted or have plans to make a dove field? We have ~110 acres of bottomland pasture at my camp consisting of about 3 fields separated by hedge rows. Always thought about planting strips of browntop millet. I feel certain corn or sunflowers would get murdered by deer, so not very motivated in that respect.

I could always do the disk/sew method closer to the season, but I'd love to have the ability to burn, bushhog, disc throughout the season to keep them coming in. Honestly, I don't really enjoy 80 degree hunts anymore. 2nd and 3rd season is where it's at for me.

Just curious on what others are doing right now.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'll be planting my usual little patch early June. Got some buddies wanting to plant more of the field so might do that too but it'll all be millet. Sunflowers I think should have been in the ground bout now to be ready in time to have them coming in by the opener but not sure we haven't done sunflowers here since the 80s.
jvalhenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a mix of corn, sunflowers and grain sorghum in the ground growing. Will add another 3 or 4 acres of top sewn wheat around 2nd week in August. Dove hunting is a family tradition with my crew so not having a field is not an option. We love it.
nomad 32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'll be doing browntop millet in a couple of weeks. Hope we don't end having a drought again.
kenacp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Deer will also hammer brown top while it is green and growing. Just be sure to plant a big enough area and you will be fine. I have pictures of 40+ head of deer on about a 4 acre duck hole planted in brown top.
justin60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin60 View Post
Deer will also hammer brown top while it is green and growing. Just be sure to plant a big enough area and you will be fine. I have pictures of 40+ head of deer on about a 4 acre duck hole planted in brown top.
Did not know that. Thanks for the heads up. Might mix in some sunflowers after all.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Glad for a break in he rain most of today got lots done and got millet planted for the doves. Rain just did hold off long enough was putting tractor up and it started to sprinkle now coming down pretty good.

It ain't much and it'll be grassy as usual but hopefully some birds will show up again
jvalhenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm planning on planting for the 2nd season. The all-knowing Commission doesn't make it attractive for someone in the South Zone to invest the time and money to plant for the 9-day first season.
Jbird22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke68 View Post
Did not know that. Thanks for the heads up. Might mix in some sunflowers after all.
FYI, Deer will eat sunflower plants even more than browntop.
Jbird22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Deer will walk past pretty much anything to eat a sunflower. I've seen some awesome bow plots planted in mid September with leftover sunflower seed.

Browntop millet is the most deer resistant and all around most forgiving and fail proof dove crop I've seen. It's not as good as most others can be, but is reliable.
MattK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.