10 gauge - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Anybody shoot one? One I'm looking at getting only shoots 3 1/2's and seems like it might be a little much
Swampy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

A quick check of a few websites shows only 3.5" ammo is available in 10 gauge so it doesn't matter
about the gun. two of my friends shot them for a while. One bought the browning pump shortly after
its introduction. He shot it for 2 or 3 years and sold it. He was a skinny guy and the recoil was
too much for him. Another friend bought a Spanish made O/U in the mid 90's. It shot real well,
I used it to fill a swan tag in North Carolina. He loosened the action by shooting real hot
hand loads through it. He replaced it with a 3 1/2' 12 gauge Beretta Onyx and says he cant tell the
difference at normal ranges.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

This is the first season I will hunt with one, but I mainly bought it for geese. Your not really gaining anything with a 10ga vs a 12g with 3 1/2" shells unless you plan on using shot sizes 2 and up. The larger bore of the 10ga patterns BB way better than my 12ga. I'm 6'4 320 and I have a Browning pump, and I don't notice the difference in recoil between the two even though my 12 is a semi auto. You won't get anymore range with the 10 vs the 12, but I have witnessed the knockdown power of the 10ga. I have shot coyotes with my 10 and its a pretty noticeable difference with buckshot that the 10 seems to hit them harder. I tore my rotator cuff on my left shoulder 3 weeks ago so I haven't had a chance to shoot any ducks this year. I'll let you know after Christmas how the 10 does on ducks pass shooting in timber.
huntemhard79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Any 10 gauge is "a little too much" in my very humble opinion. Shells are going to be more expensive (which isn't an issue if you are loaded and/or only hunt a couple weekends a year). They are loud as heck, please for all that is holy don't shoot a ported choke ha, I almost lost an eardrum when a buddy rang my ears with a 10 gauge years ago! The added "range" is not necessary under regular hunting conditions (IE landing ducks or at least getting them descending into your decoy spread). For geese, a 3.5" #2 is more than plenty for decoying shots.

I personally don't shoot 3.5" shells anymore out of my SBE. Just wasn't necessary. I get by just fine with 3" number 2 Winchester X-perts.

If you want it "just because", by all means get one though and enjoy it! New guns are fun ha!
chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

I got a Browning pump a few months ago strictly to turkey hunt with. I don't think I could bring myself to shoot one at ducks as I agree it's a little too much.
kennymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntemhard79
I'll let you know after Christmas how the 10 does on ducks pass shooting in timber.
Pass shooting in timber = skybusting

Let's just call it what it is, why don't we?
Smoke68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.