Corral Type Hog Trap - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Corral Type Hog Trap

Does anyone have a set of plans for a corral type hog trap or know of a website to find some. Hogs are showing up more and more at the lease and I'm trying to knock a few out. I have never trapped hogs before so I'm kinda green when it comes to this stuff. Thanks
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've googled "corral type hog traps" and found several different pics and discussions on how to build them. I will say this, using corn with diesel fuel poured all over it works really good, and the coons and deer won't bother it. Also, make them round, because they will bunch up in the corners and could get out of its not real tall or built really stout. And ( this may sound nuts, but) wire or fix the door where it won't trip for a week or so to let them get used to going in without hesitation. That way, if you build a trigger mechanism that allows it, you could catch the whole sounder at once. Put a camera on it when you bait it, that way you can tell when they get comfortable entering it all at once. Hope this helps.
John 3:16

Last edited by mhallman; 06-13-2017 at 11:41 AM.
mhallman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhallman View Post
I've googled "corral type hog traps" and found several different pics and discussions on how to build them. I will say this, using corn with diesel fuel poured all over it works really good, and the coons and deer won't bother it. Also, make them round, because they will bunch up in the corners and could get out of its not real tall or built really stout. And ( this may sound nuts, but) wire or fix the door where it won't trip for a week or so to let them get used to going in without hesitation. That way, if you build a trigger mechanism that allows it, you could catch the whole sounder at once. Put a camera on it when you bait it, that way you can tell when they get comfortable entering it all at once. Hope this helps.

Don't think I've heard bout diesel over the corn trick. I'll try anything. I'm gonna watch some YouTube vids and see what I can come up with.

Think regular 4' cyclone fencing and "T" post can hold a few hogs? I have a bunch of that at the camp.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

1st post on this page. (penned)
Billy303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
rt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
Don't think I've heard bout diesel over the corn trick. I'll try anything. I'm gonna watch some YouTube vids and see what I can come up with.

Think regular 4' cyclone fencing and "T" post can hold a few hogs? I have a bunch of that at the camp.
Doesn't take much diesel to keep the deer away from it. Certainly don't need to soak it or anything.

As for the chain-link fence and t-posts...they aren't going to hold a hog of much size for very long. 4' isn't tall enough, either...and you can't legally put a top on it.
rt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/files/2010/05/CorralTraps.pdf
liv2hunt75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Some really good info in this MS State publication:

A Landowner's Guide for Wild Pig Management: Practical Methods for Wild Pig Control

http://extension.msstate.edu/sites/d...ns/p2659_0.pdf
deerhunt1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't know if this is legal now, but once upon a time it would work: Take loader bucket and dig hole size of bucket, pour in a few hundred pounds of corn and cover with feed mill molasses, blend all together with dirt removed from hole so that the pigs have to sort through the dirt to get the good stuff. You should end up with something that looks like a fresh grave. Add another couple of bags of corn on top covered with and a little more molasses. Set up camera and leave it alone until pigs start digging a hole there. Then build your corral trap around the site after the hogs get used to eating there. Hog slammer gates from West Point work well on coral traps. Cattle panels will work to catch all but he smallest ones. Once the fatten up it will get them too.
treefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.