hog trap building materials - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
TLS

I got lucky yesterday,a friend gave me some good materials to build a super strong hog trap ,I have 2 questions DO i have to put wire in the bottom of trap, and what kinda door is best a gravity drop down or a spring loaded door.? also keep in mind that this trap will weigh around 450 to 500 lbs .
TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

TLS,

We built stationary traps with T-Post(e.g., we used the longer 7 ft T-post and spaced them about three feet a part), Wire Cattle Panels (e.g., we used 5 - sixteen foot panels and made a round shaped trap. We ran our wire cattle panels flush to the ground and on the inside of the T-Post), and Trap Door(e.g., we had a fab guy make us a 4-foot wide gravity gate that had 3 smaller tube steel doors side by side built at an angle so that the hogs had to push the door up to get in and obviously once the hog clears the door, the door falls back to the ground). Once the trap was constructed we decided to initially wire all the doors up to let the hogs come and go to the corn in the traps. After about two weeks they finally went to the corn in the trap. We re-baited and lowered one door gave them a few days with one door down, hogs ate the bait, we re-baited and lowered door 2 for a few days, hogs cleaned the bait and then lowered the third door. We had hogs in the traps on the next visit. When we had success it was always multiple hogs. I think 8 was the most we ever caught at one time. When we were not running the traps we left the doors wired open.

There are pros and cons about stationary traps. We never removed a wild hog from the traps alive. Once you trap a wild hog you will understand why they are called "poor mans grizzly bear". With that said, there was always a little blood on the ground inside our traps after hog removal. It was our experience that it would take a few days before the hogs would come back to the trap. With portable traps you could possible avoid that delay.

Probably the best advice I could give, is once you have a trap in place then by all means minimize human scent at the trap. I will just say this we caught more hogs when we did not "group check" the traps. I recommend that you let one person check the trap and that should be done from some distance if at all possible. Keep your dippers and smokers away from the traps. I enjoy a good chew but not around the traps. Hey once you get some hogs in the trap then bring the crowd have a good time cause it's going to be a few days before the hogs come back there anyway.

As far as what bait to use that will keep deer and turkey away, we soured corn with beer, poured purple kool-aid on soured corn, and diesel fueled corn. We also poured a box or two of dry strawberry jello in the trap...hogs loved it. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you do.

Longbow

Longbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
TLS

Mr.Longbow, trapping hogs is all new to me ,any advice you or anyone wants to send my way will be much appreciated .I will probably have to move this trap around some , looks like, more than one group ,Im sure i will make some mistakes along the way, but im a fast learner, thank you for youre advice.I will post results when i figure how to post pics.
TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like to set my hog traps up where I can slip in and check them from a distance, preferably approaching from downwind, without disturbing what may be inside or outside the trap. This way if there is nothing in there you do not disturb the area. It also allows you the opportunity to shoot one that may not have gone in the trap and is hanging around his trapped buddies.
treefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is the removal of hogs wide open, by any means neccessary? Just wondering, they are getting close to us and don't intend to let it get out of hand if I can help it.
rees guide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Legally it's not wide open by any means, but hogs are such a problem that most local authorities are not going to say anything if you are just discreet when you eliminate them. Kill them on the spot and do not transport them live. Don't haul them around an show them off and have someone complain so they have to do something. Look up the nuisence animal regulations on the mdwfp web site.
treefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.