New hog hunting rules - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just saw this on the MDWFP website--it's dated July but I haven't seen this come up yet. I was notified by our hunting club last February or so that MDWFP passed (proposed?) new rules for hunting wild hogs on private land. Rules said that if the land title was not in the hunter's name, the hunter had to have written permission from the title holder and that permission was only good for 30 days. Since hunting clubs are not in the name of an individual hunter, you could not hunt hogs in your own hunting camp without getting written permission every 30 days.

Now, on the MDWFP website under "2013 Final Rules" click on W-7.1 Nuisance animals. First, the final rule got rid of the ridiculous 30 day limit and simply says that the letter of permission must have a specific date of expiration. Kudos to MDWFP for this one. (Rule 7.1 B.2.c)

Second--and here is my question. Permission letters are not needed for "Landowners and any leaseholders....on property titled in their name or _otherwise owned, or leased by them._" I hope this means that if you are a shareholder of a corporation that owns a hunting camp, then the land is "otherwise owned" by you and permission letters are not needed. Similarly, if your hunting camp is land leased from Anderson-Tully, it is "otherwise leased" and permission letters are not needed.

At least I hope that is what the law means. If you are a member of a hunting camp, you can hunt hogs on your camp's land without having to carry around a signed letter of permission.

Can anyone verify that it is now legal to hunt hogs in our own camps without a permission letter?

TIA--hcfb
hillcityflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
rln

Call Ricky Flynt at the MSDWFP, he is the State Alligator and Furbearer manager who also is in charge of Nuisance Animal (HOGS) issues, go straight to the source and get the answer.
rln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.