South Ms shooters? - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

1 out of 4 isn't really that bad considering the short time you have been at it. I was lucky 1 out of 4 actually hit the target when I started. Another thing to consider, do not be afraid to drive a ways to meet someone more experienced to shoot with them. I drove 2-1/2 hours 1 way to meet a guy I've only knew from talking to him on a local forum to shoot with him. I knew he was a great shot and a true killer with a stick bow. We spent 3 hours talking and shooting and he made several suggestions to help me. I soaked it all in and picked his brain while I was there. I went home and started trying what he told me and progressed really fast after that. It was worth every second of that 8 hour day.
8uptradhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 04:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

I might offer a couple of suggestions....

With your long draw length and a 145 grain head, its entirely possible to be underspined on your arrows. This will cause inconsistency in itself. Of course, as stated earlier, that's assuming that you have worked out your other flaws in your release.

The other thing is that its easier to get a clean release with a tab vs a glove. I've shot forever with a glove but I kept playing around with the tab and I can see a remarkable difference now in my release. The tab will require your arrows to be just a tad stiffer in spine though. It may aggravate an existing problem.

What you need to a make a trip to let someone mentor you and set your bow up correctly. If you ever want to make a trip to central Mississippi and get it set up correctly....I'm always available.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 06:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Stringwacker I may take you up on this offer when time permits, I would love to have someone that knows what they are doing help me. I think I will try a tab also, most of my problem is in my release. Yesterday I switched to a Damascus glove that I had from back when, it is way more thin than the one I have been using. Along with trying to use 3 anchor points, which were nose to fleth, finger in the corner of my mouth, and my thumb along my jaw, and the new glove I was shooting pretty good at 12 yards. I would have an occasional flyer and it would be my release, I could feel it being wrong every time. Also I have a ton of arrows, I may try a 125gr. head with the 500 spine arrows and a 400 spine arrow to see what happens.
RAZORSHARP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

If you do go to a tab, make sure its the right width. It should be as close to the width of your 3 fingers as possible. The length should be trimmed to where your finger tips are exposed about 1/4" beyond the end of the tab with fingers extended if I remember correctly.
8uptradhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
jlt

There are some guys from your area on Tradgang. I know one is southms something or other. Should be easy to find if you do a search.
jlt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

If you want something to play with....do this if you are so inclined.

Given you shoot three fingers under....set your nocking point at 5/8" as most three finger under shooters will be really close to this mark for the center thrust of the bow.

At that point, place a secondary nock point below your arrow nock to keep it from sliding on your string at the moment of release. This secondary point should be a dental floss set or something similar. Don't use a two brass set as you need to squeeze it against the bottom of the nock to make a tight fit. Brass will damage your nock....especially Bohning style traditional nock...not so much the insert ones. In fact, its good not to use a brass nock in either position...but especially the lower one.

Strip the feathers off both the 400 and 500 spine arrows (I'll assume you use feathers) and shoot into a bale (or any soft bag target) at 6 or 7 yards. Assuming your a right handed shooter, if the nock end of the arrow goes to the left...you are under spined. If the nock end of the arrow goes right...you are over spined.

If the nock goes high...lower the nock position from 5/8's to 4/8's
If the nock goes low...raise the nock height to 6/8's.

There are variations to all of this but this would be the ABC's to start dialing the arrow in and getting the best flight/groups with your arrows.

Lastly...its so much easier IMHO to use aluminum shafting...more sizes... and the use of weights (another subject once you find out what you arrows do when they are bareshafted) isn't nearly as needed. One of these three sizes in aluminum will be what you need and provide the most tunable and accurate arrow....2016 (500), 2018 (460), or 2117 (400).

I would say the 2018 is what you need but I'm often fooled by the longer draw lengths as they often require a heavier spined arrow than what I would have thought

Last edited by Stringwacker; 06-14-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

To add to what Mark said when you are bare shafting be sure to hold the bow vertical, so that you get the correct read on the arrow!

South MS Bowhunter on Trad Gang is in your area.
drycreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.