South Ms shooters? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default South Ms shooters?

I have recently started shooting a recurve. Maybe a month now. Is there anyone else around the coast that shoots trad bows? I would really like the help from an experienced shooter. I can't seem to get any kind of consistency and I'm pretty sure it is mostly all in my release. I try to maintain back tension but I'm pretty sure I pluck the string. Any body that can give some pointers I will gladly listen.
RAZORSHARP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

You could try using your phone to video yourself shooting in the slow motion mode if you have that option on your phone. That helped me see my release issues and I was able to correct them over time. One of the things that probably helped me the most was getting a light poundage bow to use when working on form.

I was shooting a 70# compound when I got into traditional so I started out with a 60# recurve and after a year I realized I was over bowed. Sold that bow and bought a 45# recurve and man what a difference it made in my shooting.
8uptradhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have been shooting a 45# bow. Holding the bow back and aiming is no problem. I have videoed myself in slow motion and I can tell my release is off. I feel pretty confident about my anchor and consistency and I am always to the right and left, which is because of my release im pretty sure. Im just going to keep working on it. Does it ever just click one day and start working? I feel like I should be better than I am for the time I have been practicing.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes it gets better but it takes longer than a month to do so, or at least it did for me. It took me a lot of trial and error to be able to shoot tight groups though. I shot about 50 to 100 arrows a day at 10 yards for over a month after dropping weight working on nothing but form and release. When my groups started to tighten up I started shooting 1 arrow at a time after breaking a few nocks and concentrated on making that 1 shot count. I was determined to figure out what I was doing wrong and fixing it. Idk how well your bow is tuned at this point but I wouldn't worry too much about that at this point until you get your form, anchor and release consistent unless your arrows are really flying bad (poor form/release can contribute to poor arrow flight even if your bow is tuned well also). When I got to the point where I could hit within reason from 10 yards, I moved to 15 yards then eventually 20 yards etc. On sessions when my shooting just plain sucks< I quit for a while and try again later. Stick with it and it will eventually click.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am shooting a 45# Samick Sage with 500 spine Easton Epic arrows and 5" feathers with 145 grain field tips. When I make a clean release it shoots good from what I can tell. When i pluck the string it doesn't fly good of course. I know I need to just keep practicing and learning what I can. But I am scared I am going to start some bad habits that I cant make myself break. But it is a blast to shoot. I can only imagine how fun it will be when I can hit where I am looking consistently.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wish I were closer to you then I could help you in person. Nothing wrong wirh the Sage, shot a friend of mines Sage when he first started out and it shot great. Are your arrows full length or did you have them cut? What is your measured draw lenght shooting trad? Do you shoot split finger or 3 under, tab or glove. Clip a clothes pin on your arrow just in front of your riser so the clothes pin catches the riser when you draw. Draw to your anchor then let down and measure from the clothes pin to the nock throath, that will give you a ruff estimate of your draw length. Do this several times and get an average for now. I started out drawing 26.5" anchoring my index finger at the corner of my mouth and as I toyed with different anchors I am now at 28" anchoring with my thumb knuckle behind my cheek bone. Try to anchor on something that doesn't move if you know what I mean. The corner of your mouth is soft tissue and can change anchor points. Try to get at least 2 points of contact at anchor, for me it is thumb knuckle behind cheek bone and string touching my eyebrow. Some use the **** feather touching their nose along with their anchor point. Don't be afraid to try different things like anchor points, how much you cant the bow, how you grip it etc.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Let me ask you this, what are your goals for traditional archery? Target shooting for fun, 3D shoots, hunting?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have full length shafts. And I shoot 3 under. I have tried split and I cant get comfortable with it but I do release better, I think. I have a 28 1/4" draw according to the clothes pin method. I have been really only anchoring with my index finger in the corner of my mouth but lately I have been trying to find a second anchor on my face to keep my hand from flinging to the right instead of back. My main goal for traditional archery is hunting. I want to eventually be confident enough to hunt with a recurve. The crazy part is 8 or so years ago I killed 3 does with a 50# bear grizzly then kinda just stopped messing with it because I wasnt confident in my shooting.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

I also shoot 3U, tried split but that just did not feel right. You can try drawing a little farther and anchor your thumb knucle behind your jawbone which will be solid and lock you in and touch your nose to the **** feather for a second reference or have the string touch your eyebrow like I do. You can try several different anchors by drawing with an arrow to a new anchor but not release the arrow just to see if a different anchor feels better for you. If you feel the back of your jawbone and slide your finger straight up your face to your cheekbone is where I now anchor my thumb knuckle. It gets my arrow just under my eye and has helped my groups a lot. Play around with different anchors without shooting to see if another spot may work better for you.

When I release I like to feel my fingers drag across the side of my neck. If I do not feel this I know that I probably plucked the string some.

Having killed 3 deer with that Grizzly is a better start than me, I missed the only 3 deer I shot at (the first one was a nice 9pt that was at less than 10yds lol). You stated that you stopped hunting with it due to lack of confidence. Right now I am confident I can make a kill shot out to 25 yards so I will not shoot at anything past that range regardless of how big the deer is. Set up for your shots within your confidence range even if it is only 10 yards and if they are beyond that let them walk. In my 32 years of bowhunting I have only shot a few deer past 25 yards with my compounds. If you stick with it long enough you will eventually get to where you want to be.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. I plan to work on my anchor, release and follow through. If I can get that consistent I think I will be okay. When I do shoot and everything feels right the arrow usually goes where I am looking problem is that only happens 1 out of every 4 arrows lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.