Would a yak help give me better access to creeks and rivers? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would a yak help give me better access to creeks and rivers?

I am thinking about getting a kayak and was hoping to get a little advice on what I should be looking for. I don't know anyone local that has one that I could try. I mostly bass fish. I bought a 17' Nitro bass boat a few years ago because I fished mostly local lakes. In hindsight, I should have bought an aluminum boat that would allow me to fish creeks and rivers. The rivers around here (Leaf and Chickasawhay) tend to be so shallow that I can't really get anywhere with my boat since it sits so deep in the water. I still like the boat for when the wife and I go to lakes. I really want to be able to access some of the creeks off the main river channels but there are no launches close by. It's a pretty long run up the river to access the creeks. I thought maybe if I had a kayak, I could drive to a bridge or something on the creek and be able to drag the kayak to it.
A kayak should allow me to fish some of the oxbow lakes, creeks and rivers by myself. I have a few likely dumb questions though...If I fished a creek or river, is it really possible to paddle up current to get back to the launch or would you have to stage a vehicle down current? I was thinking it would be nice to have a kayak I could stand in for better casting in more still water but not sure how easy that is to do. My back gets stiff after sitting too long at times so comfort is definitely a deciding factor as well.
Any suggestion on what type of yak would be most suited for creeks/rivers? I had looked at an Ascend FS128T but I read in another thread where EricVF said it's like paddling a bathtub, LOL! That doesn't sound like what I would need.
YellowHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Short answer, yes, a Kayak will help you fish the creeks and shallow water you are trying to get to. And you can paddle upstream usually without too much trouble. I'll send you a pm and discuss it more.
iceman39455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yellowhawk - You really should try the kayak! I have fished out of a kayak on and off for twenty years, though never on the Leaf and Chickasawhay. I never stand up in a kayak, but there may be some in which you can. What I especially like is getting out on a sand bar in a small creek or river and wading out to cast to the other bank. I like to work one bend like that then move on to another. Do not get me wrong, I do fish from the kayak, but after an hour in the kayak it feels to get out and walk or wade a bit!

Regarding getting back to the landing against the current: I can paddle my kayak up stream but I do not recommend going downstream from the landing. Instead I always paddle upstream, fishing as I go, until I am as far as I want to go. Then I fish back downstream to the landing. Maybe I am just over cautious, but that is the way I learned to fish rivers back in the old days with my Dad and the old john boat and old outboard motor. Go upstream and you can always get back to the landing.
MeltonW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I realize that I might be late to the party here, but you could launch the bass boat and tow the kayak behind it to the creeks that you want to fish. Beach and tie off the bass boat and head up in the creeks. That way you wouldn't have any trouble with the return trip and could fish them regardless of where they are relative to a bridge.

Cheers

FC
fullchoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, you will definitely be able to access places a bass boat can't. For fishing, look for something stable, but most important, get one that has a comfortable seat. Mine is more comfortable than most chairs. My kayak is a Native Ultimate and they use the same basic seat in other models. Wilderness Systems also look really comfortable. It's also a different experience when you're not listening to a motor and moving slowly. You hear and see everything. I honestly enjoy my kayak more than my fishing boat.
bbroom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.