Worms are in - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Worms are in

Check your trees
blong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Iíve been checking for the pass two weeks and havenít had any yet. Itís been 3 days since I last looked, so Iíll go today and check again. Thanks for the update!
byrddog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
kjb

Gonna check again today. Last year it was the first week of June before I saw any.
kjb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
kjb

Speaking of worms, when you freeze them, do you add water to them or how exactly is the best way to freeze them?
Old 05-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb View Post
Speaking of worms, when you freeze them, do you add water to them or how exactly is the best way to freeze them?
There is a video on Youtube I saw where you blanch them in boiling water, then ice water, then roll in cornmeal.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don’t freeze them. They will stay alive almost 3 weeks in cedar shavings in the fridge. I’ve never had much luck on the frozen ones and I’ve done the fruit fresh, blanch, corn meal and just water. I just let them go to ground if I’m not gonna be able to go during that time frame. Not saying frozen wont catch but it’s just not even close to what fresh will put in the boat.
blong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb View Post

Here's a couple ways to store them. After picking the worms from tree, put them in a wire cage for a day or two. They'll toughen up and start to slightly draw up in size. Put them in a Gatorade size jug and fill to the top of worms with syrup, screw lid on, and put them in the freezer. This way doesn't require much thaw time and they will last for years. (Yes it's very messy but worth it.) A friend and I fished a little local bragging rights tourney on the Chickasawhay 3 weeks ago with worms that were a couple years old. We kept 143 catfish (on syrup worms) and the closest to us had 53 (they were using minnows)

Another way I do it is to drop them in boiling water and then put in Gatorade size bottle, fill about 2/3 with water and freeze. This way takes longer to thaw and the worms turn a dark color after thawing but still catch fish.

If you're going to use them soon then put them in a paper bag, twist the top closed and put in the fridge. You can also put them in Ziploc bag with cornmeal and refrigerate them.

I've already had one batch eat up all the leaves and make it into the ground. Trees are starting to bud back out now.

Last edited by dublelung; 05-30-2018 at 07:04 AM.
dublelung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
kjb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublelung View Post
Here's a couple ways to store them. After picking the worms from tree, put them in a wire cage for a day or two. They'll toughen up and start to slightly draw up in size. Put them in a Gatorade size jug and fill to the top of worms with syrup, screw lid on, and put them in the freezer. This way doesn't require much thaw time and they will last for years. (Yes it's very messy but worth it.) A friend and I fished a little local bragging rights tourney on the Chickasawhay 3 weeks ago with worms that were a couple years old. We kept 143 catfish (on syrup worms) and the closest to us had 53 (they were using minnows)

Another way I do it is to drop them in boiling water and then put in Gatorade size bottle, fill about 2/3 with water and freeze. This way takes longer to thaw and the worms turn a dark color after thawing but still catch fish.

If you're going to use them soon then put them in a paper bag, twist the top closed and put in the fridge. You can also put them in Ziploc bag with cornmeal and refrigerate them.

I've already had one batch eat up all the leaves and make it into the ground. Trees are starting to bud back out now.

Thanks for the info! I checked my trees again yesterday. I have a little grove of 22 trees. I did see a few in the tops. My trees do not have many low limbs so most of the worms are about untouchable without a huge ladder or bucket truck. I have been watching a rock dam and waiting for the level to get right. I killed the fish there once with chicken livers when it gets right. Ready to use these catalpa worms on them. The last two years nobody has gotten any of the worms off the trees. Not sure when I can go fishing was the reason I was wanting to store the worms. I have told people the last couple of years to come get some but nobody did. I am going to get them this year!!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

my poor little tree may not survive any worms this year. Last year I thought it was completely dead after getting eaten bare 3 times the previous year. BUT she sprouted one little branch this spring. I'm going to clear an area around it this week and plant a few more trees.
joshua99ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in