breakfast sausage recipe - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default breakfast sausage recipe

Looking for a good homemade recipe to make some breakfast sausage(patties)from my last deer. What ya'll got...
rancher81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I fount this while I was experimenting a few years ago. I never got around to trying most of the info on there but it looks like good stuff:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/secrets
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

These are my go-to recipes for breakfast sausage patties. I make them in 1/4 lb patties and use them for about everything that doesn't need a particular type of sausage like Andouille or chorizo. For 10 lb meat I use 6 lb venison, 1-1/2 lb pork fat, and 2-1/2 lb pork butt.

This one calls for sheep casings but I make it as patties:
Mitch's Famous Breakfast Sausage

10 LBS Pork shoulder
4 TBLS Salt
3 TBLS Dextrose
6 TBLS Rubbed sage, loosely packed.
2 TBLS White pepper
1 TBLS Black pepper
3 TBLS Crushed red pepper
1 Cup Ice water

Grind all ingredients except the crushed red pepper in a spice mill.
Grind meat through a in plate.
Sprinkle all of the dry ingredients over ground meat and mix well.
Refrigerate meat mixture over night.
Add ice water and mix well.
Stuff into 24mm sheep casings and link into 4 inch links.
This sausage freezes well.

This next one is from eldonsausage.com. Less peppery than above. See note after list of ingredients about making spicier--this is what I use.
Country Sausage (Breakfast)

Fresh Sausage Recipe

Ingredients: - 10 lbs.
7 lbs lean meat
1 1/2 lbs. lean pork butt
1 1/2 lbs. pork fat
Or 10 lbs. of Ground Pork Butt
4 tablespoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons white pepper
3 1/2 teaspoons sage, ground
2 1/2 teaspoons thyme, ground
2 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoons crushed red chili peppers ground
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup flavor binder 86, or 1/2 cup non-fat-dry milk
prepared 33-36MM hog casings

For Hot Country Sausage follow the above recipe, only use 1 1/2 tablespoons crushed red chili peppers ground, more if you like it hotter. Taste test. HCFb’s Note: use T crushed pepper.

If you decide to smoke this product add 2 teaspoons curing salt to the meat/seasoning mixture before
stuffing into casings.

Directions:
Grind meats and pork fat together through medium plate (3/16") one time or use 10 lbs. ground beef or pork or a mixture of beef and pork. Combine ground meat with remaining ingredients; mix/knead well.
Taste test by frying a small quarter-size patty to see if you approve of the flavor is. Make changes if needed. Carefully stuff the sausage mixture into the casing, filling the casing snugly but not so tight it will burst open during the linking process. Form sausage links by pressing the filled casing gently with your forefinger and thumb and twist four or five times in one direction, repeat and twist in the opposite direction. Another option is to shape sausage mixture into patties or use bulk style.
Cook, fry, bake or broil just as you would any fresh pork sausage.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Try the Jimmy Dean Clone. Don't get much better. Click the link.

http://www.budget101.com/content.php/3886/
TC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Refreezing Sausage

I have a question. I received a good bit of breakfast sausage from a local processor. It is packed in the standard sized bags and frozen. Would it be ok to thaw and make patties and then refreeze? We can't eat a whole package at one time. Thanks for any advice.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
I have a question. I received a good bit of breakfast sausage from a local processor. It is packed in the standard sized bags and frozen. Would it be ok to thaw and make patties and then refreeze? We can't eat a whole package at one time. Thanks for any advice.
You can but you'll loose a little bit of quality. Each time meat is frozen and thawed, it ruptures the cell membranes which affects the quality and texture of the meat. Not as noticeable in ground meat as it in whole meat though. Just make sure you thaw your sausage in the refrigerator (even though it will take several days).
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Doyle's answer is technically 100% correct, but I've done a lot of this over the years, and IMO whatever degradation occurs is not noticeable, and keep in mind you do not have to thaw the first package out completely. Thaw it enough to cut it in the portions you want and go from there. You won't notice any quality reduction at all, IME.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleAlley View Post
You can but you'll loose a little bit of quality. Each time meat is frozen and thawed, it ruptures the cell membranes which affects the quality and texture of the meat. Not as noticeable in ground meat as it in whole meat though. Just make sure you thaw your sausage in the refrigerator (even though it will take several days).
Yep. I would also thaw those packages individually for repackaging as you need them rather than all at once assuming they are well packaged from the processor. If they weren't well packaged initially, I would repackage everything immediately.

With repackaging as you go, the time between repackaging and use is shorter and you are less likely to have freezer burn issues from air pockets created when repackaging.

I eat a ton of deer meat so I am usually thawing out 2 packages for my family to eat rather than trying to repackage one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in