Who are the Best Deer Processors in the State - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Who are the Best Deer Processors in the State

I'm just curious, do you use someone that you absolutely are pleased with? I would love to find someone who could make deer burger taste like beef I would also like to know of a processor who could make great breakfast and smoked sausage. A finer grind would be a plus.

While I eat all my venison, I can't say other than smoked sausage that I really look forward to it. There has got to be some processors who add a wrinkle or two to the process.

What says you?
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

I take my hogs to Wilson in Crystal Springs, I take my deer to Blaylocks in Hazlehurst. Blaylocks has a burger blend they call seasoned burger it is great for Taco's and spaghetti. I know a lot of people use Van's in Brandon, but they are very pricey
stork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork View Post
I take my hogs to Wilson in Crystal Springs, I take my deer to Blaylocks in Hazlehurst. Blaylocks has a burger blend they call seasoned burger it is great for Taco's and spaghetti. I know a lot of people use Van's in Brandon, but they are very pricey
Thank you. That sort of thing is what I'm looking for. Has anyone tried the Flora Butcher? I know that they have that Wagyu beef thing for them....

Old 09-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringwacker View Post
Has anyone tried the Flora Butcher? I know that they have that Wagyu beef thing for them....
Indeed I have. It is the best deer burger you will find. Other places toss in different seasonings, or sometimes bacon. At Flora Butcher, its your deer meat trimmed very well mixed with wagyu. I season my own and use it for different things, so I have no use for a processor adding bacon or seasonings to my deer.

For any of you thinking that bacon burger is great, I agree. However, somewhere around the 6 month mark, the flavor in bacon burger goes south quickly regardless of how it is wrapped. I have cured and smoked my own bacon and it changes around the same time. For that reason, I either mix fresh diced bacon with the burger or just fry a few slices to go on the burger.

On the other hand, I don't care for FB's sausage. My best guess why is that FB is run by a master chef that takes great care in having the natural meat flavor come through with subtle sausage spices. That's how I like my burger, but when I comes to sausage I like strong flavors. Sage in my patty, fennel in Italian, cayenne and red pepper in Cajun, etc.

I have just about quit getting sausage made. I make my own patty and rather than link sausage, I usually turn out 80-100 lbs of boudin that I grill in place of sausage.

Of the processors making sausage, Jacks Seafood in Purvis is one of the best I have tried. Several of the others I liked have unfortunately gone out of business.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork View Post
Blaylock's regular smoked link sausage is really really good.
scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Stringwacker, have you tried deer hot tamales? I tried them and like them. They are $10/dozen to get processed which is what I pay for regular beef hot tamales.
Gar hole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

A friend of mine always drives from Starkville to Philadelphia to drop off a whole deer at Jelen's Deer Processing for 100% smoked sausage. I recall he likes the green onion and pepperjack maybe. Anyways, I did the same a couple of years ago. Good stuff.

Otherwise, I've always enjoyed Sansing Meats in Maben for smoked sausage as well. Summer sausage is pretty good too, but there's a guy next door to my camp in Chickasaw County that makes the best summer sausage I've ever had in my life. Going to try to go learn from him this season.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Smoke68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the information by everyone. Jelen's is not far from where I live but had never heard of it. Will probably have to try that one.

Also, I suspected the Flora Butcher might have the best hamburger. It's quite a ways from home; but I think I will make the trip as soon as I can.

Lastly, I have had had the hot tamales and while sort of expensive, they are pretty good as well. I've never gotten many of them at a time; as I didn't know if they freeze well.

Thanks for all the ideas....
Old 10-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywallace View Post
Indeed I have. It is the best deer burger you will find. Other places toss in different seasonings, or sometimes bacon. At Flora Butcher, its your deer meat trimmed very well mixed with wagyu. I season my own and use it for different things, so I have no use for a processor adding bacon or seasonings to my deer.
Well I made the three hour round trip to take an entire deer for the Flora Butcher and the three hour round trip back to pick it up (that's 6 hours folks) to try the wagyu burger. I can honestly say it's the best deer burger I ever had after just finishing my first meal of it. The place is clean, doesn't smell. everything is vacuum packed, and your meat is brought to you chilled (but unfrozen) waxed box.

I made one patty just as it came with just salt and pepper.... and another with some finely chopped bacon included.

Really, really great stuff! Highly recommended.

The next processor I want to try is Jelen's near the Madden/Philadelphia area as recommended above. It's a short drive from my home and I had never heard of them. In addition the smoked sausage that has been recommended; I also see that they use rib eye trimmings in making deer burger.

I will let you know what I think. Thanks to everyone that has contributed.

Last edited by Stringwacker; 10-21-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in