Airbow Nearing Legalization for Archery Season - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm ignorant I guess, havent heard of an airbow until now. I still hunt with a 25 year old pse compound bow..sounds to me like not much difference in a crossgun, aim and pull a trigger...
RiverRampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Might as well open gun season October 1...it’s probably what they want anyway...
mossyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

While its not over...until its over; I'm hopeful that the entire bill dies. With of the end of the session next Friday, it seems highly unlikely that this bill could get a concurrence meeting, be placed on the House calendar, and get the floor vote in by the end of next week.

I guess we just have to wait and see.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

The Committee's involved decided to take no action on the bill for this year rendering the bill essentially dead.

It was mentioned that the concept will likely to come back next year as a 'airgun' bill that will be restricted to gun seasons.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Full disclosure I am not a bow hunter, that said I have no problem with the arrow gun during the regular and "primitve" GUN seasons. Honestly I don't see why that should be an issue at all as it is less than a 50BMG and in some ways more deadly than a .22 LR both of which are legal during our regular gun season, seems to be a total no brainer to me. Additionally, since archery, black powder, and metallic cartridge "primitive" weapons are all allowed during the regular gun seasons there should be no question about it being allowed for those periods. For that matter I believe PCP air rifles of an appropriate caliber, maybe 35 and larger, should also be allowed during the regular gun and primitive weapons seasons. The PCP air rifles are significantly less powerful than even the 35 Remington much less a 444 or 45-70 etc, so why is the MDWFP resistant to allowing their use?

Would be interesting to hear their objections to allowing such weapons during any season in which they would be equal to or less than the allowed seasonal weapon.
bucmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucmeister View Post
Full disclosure I am not a bow hunter, that said I have no problem with the arrow gun during the regular and "primitve" GUN seasons. Honestly I don't see why that should be an issue at all as it is less than a 50BMG and in some ways more deadly than a .22 LR both of which are legal during our regular gun season, seems to be a total no brainer to me. Additionally, since archery, black powder, and metallic cartridge "primitive" weapons are all allowed during the regular gun seasons there should be no question about it being allowed for those periods. For that matter I believe PCP air rifles of an appropriate caliber, maybe 35 and larger, should also be allowed during the regular gun and primitive weapons seasons. The PCP air rifles are significantly less powerful than even the 35 Remington much less a 444 or 45-70 etc, so why is the MDWFP resistant to allowing their use?

Would be interesting to hear their objections to allowing such weapons during any season in which they would be equal to or less than the allowed seasonal weapon.
I feel that an "air gun" in the gun season is a change that will happen next year. On a stand alone merit, its hard for me to see why it can't be permitted.

I think it's applicability to primitive weapon season is a little different as the PW antlerless season (within the archery season) is limited to primitive weapons by definition..... and is not a weapon of choice season until after November 30th. Placing it in that season exacerbates an archery season erosion that already exist.

Where the issue gets sticky is if an arrow gun (air bow) is legalized in any season. Time teaches us that a new user group will materialize, become a champion of the weapon, and ask for inclusion in archery seasons. I hope that it doesn't come to that as its hard to sell a threat to archery season... one step removed from the actual objection. We see from the crossbows legalization history to archery and the inline history to PW, that eventually people rationalize its discussion into another season. The fact that rationalization will occur has been proven many times over. It's human nature to do so.

All that said, an air gun with a proper caliber restriction or an arrow gun would be fine if it would find a landing spot in the non-archery seasons...and stay there. I just doubt whether it can...especially the arrow gun.

Last edited by Stringwacker; 07-01-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in