Airbow Nearing Legalization for Archery Season - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2020, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Airbow Nearing Legalization for Archery Season

I was shocked to discover that a disability bill for use of the airbow in archery season has been changed by the Senate to include usage for everyone! The only step remaining is for the bill to be returned to the House Wildlife Committee for agreement to the Senate change.

I strongly fear that this will eventually be the end of archery as we know it and bow shops will be a thing of the past as hunters convert to the new weapon that fires an arrow by the use of compressed air. Crossbowman used the argument years ago that if an arrow was used that it was 'still archery'. I guess this qualifies as well?

I haven't been involved in many years with the MBA, but I'm going to make sure the state bowhunting organization is aware. The only hope is that the House will not agree to the changes; otherwise this could be sent to the Governor as soon as next week.

Contact info for the person that has the authority to stop this from happening is Wildlife Chairman Bill Kinkade from Desoto and Marshall Counties. His office number is 601-359-3367, his work number is 901-365-4830, and his email is [email protected].

Here is the text of the bill and the Senator's name that is attached to the modification....
AMENDMENT NO 1 PROPOSED TO

House Bill No. 1309

BY: Senator(s) Blackwell

AMEND on line 10 by putting a comma after "crossbow" and deleting the word "or" and by putting the following after the word "arrow":

, or air bow

AMEND by deleting the new language on lines 12 through 19 and inserting in lieu thereof the following:

(b) For the purposes of this section, "air bow" means a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) device that uses compressed air to propel arrows.

FURTHER, AMEND the title on lines 2 and 3 by deleting "BY REASON OF DISABILITY" and inserting in lieu thereof the following:

AND PERSONS LICENSED TO HUNT DEER WITH A BOW OR PRIMITIVE WEAPON

Last edited by Stringwacker; 06-14-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thank you for the info , Big concern for me also !
howie g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just a picture of what's potentially coming to the woods in archery season this fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71WMVeN5JEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (55.1 KB, 41 views)

Old 06-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Not surprising given the way the ball has been rolling. The politicians have long since given way to ever expanding technology and hunting opportunities in hopes of spurring some sort of economic development. Never mind the fact that they are not so slowly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

If they gave a squat about deer, hunting would have been greatly curtailed in the Delta after the flood. If they cared about turkeys, turkey season would be structured to limit out of state hunting during the first 3 weeks.

If they gave a squat about hunting traditions, crossbows wouldn't have been allowed in archery and primitive weapons would still require a ramrod.

Weapon of choice on private land from October 1 to January 30 is just around the corner. Friends, I believe the ship has sailed on this one.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

The ATA doesn't support 'airbows' as archery equipment. This could be significant in that the ATA back when I used to have an active role with the state bowhunting organization required state wildlife agencies to sign a LOI (Letter of Understanding or something to that effect) to support and promote bowhunting. In return they help fund projects like Archery in the Schools etc. If that is still true today, then the MDWFP could be at risk of losing funding by deploying it as an archery weapon. I can't say if this is true or was ever quite the way I understood it...but I believed it to be true. There is no known precedent of a state allowing a pellet rifle that fires an arrow in its archery season.

Here is the ATA position on Airbows. Unlike most other form of weaponry, the airbow is neither considered archery or firearm and excise taxes are not paid to support Wildlife agencies by the US government.

“The Archery Trade Association (ATA) has been asked by its members as well as by representatives of state wildlife agencies, for the ATA’s opinion regarding whether airbows constitute archery equipment. While the ATA certainly recognizes the airbow to be an innovative piece of shooting equipment, the airbow nevertheless lacks the basic components of standard archery equipment (e.g., a string system and limbs). For this reason, the ATA does not consider airbows to be archery equipment, nor does it support the use of them in archery seasons.
In addition, the airbow (unlike archery equipment) is not subject to Federal excise tax, the basic funding mechanism for state wildlife agency activities, which means that no portion of the proceeds from airbow purchases contribute to the state wildlife conservation activities supported by Pittman Robertson funds – at least not to the ATA’s knowledge. As a consequence, airbows do not appear to be treated as archery equipment by either the Internal Revenue Service or the US Fish and Wildlife Service.”

Last edited by Stringwacker; 06-16-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywallace View Post
Not surprising given the way the ball has been rolling. The politicians have long since given way to ever expanding technology and hunting opportunities in hopes of spurring some sort of economic development. Never mind the fact that they are not so slowly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

If they gave a squat about deer, hunting would have been greatly curtailed in the Delta after the flood. If they cared about turkeys, turkey season would be structured to limit out of state hunting during the first 3 weeks.

If they gave a squat about hunting traditions, crossbows wouldn't have been allowed in archery and primitive weapons would still require a ramrod.

Weapon of choice on private land from October 1 to January 30 is just around the corner. Friends, I believe the ship has sailed on this one.
This
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

The House declined to concur in the amendment and invited conference.

A major problem with this debate is adopting the manufacturer's language. It isn't an "airbow." There is no bow involved and this isn't archery.

The device is an arrow-gun. If you allow your opponent to frame the debate, you have already lost half the war. Which sounds more palatable to you ------Obomacare or The Affordable Care Act?
Old 06-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Google Clarion Ledger Outdoors as there is an article on the airbow that should be a prelude of what should be in the Clarion Ledger soon
Old 06-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sen Kevin Blackwell changed the language of the bill to allow anyone -not just disabled - to use the air bow.
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just another way to finish the deer eradication plan in place. I hope we restock with some better genetic deer once our native ones have all been killed.
Gar hole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in