Troy Fowler - the Ranch Fairy? - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird22 View Post
Understood gonhuntin. My post was directed at the RF theory, not a specific post in this thread.
Oh, I know. And I'm just letting you know that I have no beef with your opinion. I'm good with folks shooting whatever setup works for them.
gonhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Just to keep the thread active....

I think that most folks who are more interested in the FOC, single bevel, heavier arrow, etc setups are those who have a close range bowhunting outlook. If your a 50 and 70 yard kind of guy, you will never have any use for the Ashby concepts as they are counter productive to longer range shooting. I think anything that you use when used for a shot more than about 25 yards increases the risk of wounding many times over...but that is just a personal opinion...and you know what they say about opinions. I have no doubt some people have the skill for the longer shots without a high degree of wounding.

Just curious, does the Ranch Fairy advocate a single bevel broadhead design? I only know one fellow that uses them without fail and his results have been very good.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Personally, I've never been a long range guy. I just want to try to increase the odds of a passthrough especially if I hit bone like a shoulder.
From what I've watched, he does test and use single bevels but I think that generally, rather than trying to say shoot them exclusively, he advocates any well made cut on contact head that is sharp. Honestly, I didn't even know what a single bevel was until I started researching all this.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Single bevel broadheads are interesting and no doubt leave a "S" shape in the wound channel. I might be inclined to use them on very large African game (not that I will likely ever go) but I think its a lot of sugar for a dime and is very limiting in broadhead choices.... when your hunting deer.

My experiance with the double beveled two blade designs have made me very happy with my recurves over the years. No reason to change.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonhuntin View Post
Oh, I know. And I'm just letting you know that I have no beef with your opinion. I'm good with folks shooting whatever setup works for them.
Roger that. Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringwacker View Post
Just curious, does the Ranch Fairy advocate a single bevel broadhead design? I only know one fellow that uses them without fail and his results have been very good.
Yes, he speaks highly of the single bevel heads such as the Grizzly Stik Masaai, Cutthroat, and Tuffheads to name a few. He likes double bevel heads also just seems like lately he's a bigger fan of single bevels.
Jbird22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

I’ve been watching the Ranch Fairy this summer on YouTube. I will say what he promotes makes sense. I have had poor penetration on deer before with lighter arrows and expandable broad heads and absolutely hate that. This year I will be shooting a 250 spine arrow 100 grain insert and 150 grain GrizzlyStik Samuari 150 grain broadhead or Magnus Stinger 150 grain.
littlehillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

IMO thereís a happy medium to the heavy arrow craze thats going on in the archery world these days .
I like a well tuned medium weighted arrow that hits its target square.
I have good luck on whitetails with a 400 to 450 grain arrow 60 lbs and a good sharp head . A 550 grain arrow that hits its target cockeyed isnít going to out penetrate a lesser weighted shaft that hits square.
I guess if I was after elk or other larger game in consider a heavier set up .
howie g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

I think that's where a bunch of folks misunderstand the true intent. It's not about just making the setup heavier. It's this:
“The goal of every bowhunter should be to achieve the most penetration possible on an animal, with the intent of a full passthrough.” Dr. Ed Ashby.
My 420 grain axis 340 arrows with a mechanical just didn't penetrate like I thought they should. So I decided to try something different.
Dr. Ashby also ranks the 12 factors that enhance penetration. The first two are structural integrity and arrow flight. You are absolutely correct in saying that a well tuned lighter arrow is much better than an out of tune heavier. Dr Ashby says that if your field points and broadheads have a different point of impact then the setup is not tuned. We all owe it to the animal to make sure whatever setup we are using is flying square out of the bow. I've got my setup done.
I'm now up to 535 grains total with around a 19% foc. Magnus stinger buzzcuts on the front. Will be scary sharp. Not too crazy but there shouldn't be a deer in Mississippi that totes that arrow away at the shot.

Last edited by gonhuntin; 07-26-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
jlt

I knew there was something to this theory when I shot the first deer with my recurve and a razor sharp simmons broadhead. I thought I was going to have to go home and get a shovel to dig the arrow out of the dirt it was stuck so deep. I think the THP guys promoting this will probably influence a lot of people to look into it and shoot the heavier setup. This will be better than them shooting the lightest, fastest thing that they can. Most of you guys understand this stuff, but there are a whole world of folks out there still stuck in the faster and lighter is better mindset. At least if they hit a Midwest buck in the shoulder they still have a chance at decent penetration.
jlt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in