Do you upgrade archery equipment regularly? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you upgrade archery equipment regularly?

Seems like most serious bow hunters I know get a new bow every few years. Why is that? OF COURSE I understand the "GAS" (gear acquisition syndrome) aspect of it. Heck, I was a professional musician for 30 years, and I went through phases where I bought a new guitar or amp or pedal or toy every few weeks...just because!

But is there a practical reason? Do bows get better in the short term? Many years ago I bought a Mission bow - 70lb max, 29" draw length - that I'm very pleased with. I liked it the first time I released an arrow from it, and I like it even better now. It's well-made, balanced, solid back wall, perfect [for me] let-off, and most importantly I shoot it well. If I do my part I can achieve excellent accuracy. So I've never felt the slightest desire to replace it.

Other than just wanting something different, why do bow hunters buy new bows every couple years?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm on my 3rd new bow since 2006. I shot a lot of bows with the intent to buy during that time frame but only walked out with a new one if I could honestly say it was an upgrade over the one I currently owned. The bow I have now (Mathews Halon 7) is responsible for my 4 biggest bow bucks. I can't even see thinking about upgrading it anytime soon. My arrow of choice has been the same since 2006. As far as accessories, they've pretty much remained the same for the past 10 yrs or so. I'm pretty sure I switched to Rage Hypodermics back in 2013. For the most part, as long as something is working, I stick with it.
Jbird22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

The word 'upgrade' is somewhat an odd term for traditionalist archers. I just ordered my first new complete bow since 2008. It's exactly like my original bow (Black Widow recurve) but in a new color combination. It is the same model, length, and poundage. Since 2008, I have ordered new risers, but they were just to replace those that cracked. I also ordered a new set of limbs exactly like my original (2008) to have a backup if needed.

So while my bows are relatively stable, my arrow and broadhead choice usually changes year to year...sometimes month to month:-) Sometimes I upgrade; other times I downgrade. I just do what makes me happy in the moment.

Last edited by Stringwacker; 07-25-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Same bow since the Z7 Extreme came out (2009?). I shoot it well and it has been responsible for a few decent bucks and a lot of freezer meat. Traded every year for a few years when I started bow hunting and realized I wasn’t gaining anything so I stuck with the current bow. Same rest and sight I started with. Been shooting Kill Zone heads for years and am very happy with their performance.
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I use to upgrade every two to three years, but as I got older and the bow cost got higher I slowed down. I'm still shooting my Mathews Z7 I bought in 2010 with most of the equipment (sights, arrows) from previous bows. If it works, don't fix it.

Last edited by turkey_picker; 07-26-2020 at 08:44 PM.
turkey_picker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Self admitted archery fanatic here .
I love tinkering with archery stuff and normally get a new bow every year , sometimes 2 . My lord if I had the money back Iíve spent over the years on archery stuff I could pay cash for a new truck ,, a really nice truck Ď ! Lol .
Besides my family , archery hunting and turkeys is what makes me tic .
My newest bow wonít kill a buck any better then the last 20 Iíve had , but it sure is fun to get it ready for the woods and range .
howie g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

I ain't got the money to do that. Just counted up and I've owned about 8 bows since the late 70s. And I think that at least half of those were given to me. So obviously I keep what I'm hunting with quite a while. Shot my last bow, a Switchback XT for about 9 years and now have a Monster MR6 that Howie G sold me in 2015 that I'm still very happy with. I'm sure that there are improvements in the newer bows, but I haven't shot any of them so I don't know the difference. I know that Matthews hasn't built one any faster since then.
I do get the fever sometimes but my cheapness overrides my desire for something new. I'm afraid if the archery industry were dependent on people like me, they'd all go under.

Last edited by gonhuntin; 07-26-2020 at 08:31 AM.
gonhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

I sold a bow that I really liked to upgrade and found out I didn't care for the upgrade as much as I thought. My latest change of bows was for lighter draw weight but I sure miss that Halon 32. I might change next year but I have a Grandson that will be ready in a few years to introduce to the addiction of archery. I hope he loves it as much as I do.
ji63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
cdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji63 View Post
I sold a bow that I really liked to upgrade and found out I didn't care for the upgrade as much as I thought. My latest change of bows was for lighter draw weight but I sure miss that Halon 32. I might change next year but I have a Grandson that will be ready in a few years to introduce to the addiction of archery. I hope he loves it as much as I do.
I have a Halon 32 7. 70 lbs. 28 inch draw if you are interested.
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can't do that 70# anymore.
ji63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in