Moving from mechanicals to fixed - Page 3 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

I agree some screw in heads are produced in heavier weights now; but for the most part they are speciality heads and usually (not always!) offered by smaller BH manufacturers. I know that Woodsman Elites & VPA's come in some really heavy screw in weights and a lot of the more well know traditional glue on heads (such as Zwickey's) can be bought with the BH adaptor inserts already mounted; making them much heavier. I'm not aware of the Elite archery broadhead mentioned but seems really nice in that it is adjustable.

It's usually a lot cheaper to buy weighted field points (offered in 100 to about 225 grains) to see what tunes best out of your bow before buying matching broadheads. Broadheads over the last 5 years have went up about 50%! They are costly! Field points are dirt cheap by comparison.

I just brought the whole thing up as the discussion was turning to more mainstream heads such as Stingers, Slick tricks, Rage's etc which are generally on the lighter side of heads (Magnus Stinger does come in a 150 grain...if you can find them.)

As the previous posted said, there's lots of options out there.... and all of them work; some just better than others.

Last edited by Stringwacker; 08-06-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #22 (permalink)

It’s not elite. It’s ethics. And they don’t sell broadheads. They sell inserts and other items. www.ethicsarchery.com They actually Have a couple of test packs of different weight field points from 100-300 grains so you can use the stock inserts and tune the arrow. When you figure out what works, you can figure out an insert-broadhead combo to match the weight.
gonhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonhuntin View Post
Itís not elite. Itís ethics. And they donít sell broadheads. They sell inserts and other items. www.ethicsarchery.com They actually Have a couple of test packs of different weight field points from 100-300 grains so you can use the stock inserts and tune the arrow. When you figure out what works, you can figure out an insert-broadhead combo to match the weight.
Gotcha. Nice link. I can't say that I have heard of them and I'm interested in understanding more how the system works. It looks different than anything I've seen.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #24 (permalink)

Jake several years ago I about quit bow-hunting b/c I was disgusted that I had lost a couple does shooting mechanicals (RAGE). I am a short fellow with a 26" draw length and my bow was old and slow (Mathews MQ 32 shooting ~ 230 fps). I believe I just didn't have the speed or kinetic energy to utilize those expendables, I was not getting pass through's. I have a good friend many know around here (Quin) that told me to ditch the mechanicals and try SLICKTRICKS. I'm guessing that was probably 2011-2012 time frame. Since then I have killed about dozen deer utilizing the Slick Trick Standard 100 gr. I am now shooting a bear agenda 6 and it will sling an arrow even with my draw length shooting 60 lbs. I typically get pretty good blood trails. I rarely get trails where it looks like a butcher is throwing out blood but my trails are usually pretty easy to follow and most deer are dead within 60 yards.

I can tell you the slicktricks made me a believer the first year I used them. I was sitting in a lock-on on the side of the MS River. I had five does come down a trail with the first doe being the largest (140 pounds). She stoppped at about 20 yards infront of me and I had already drawn back. Where she stopped the bulk of her body was behind a cottonwood. I aimed and figured I had just enough room to slide it in behind her shoulder. Turns out I didnt, my arrow blew threw both shoulders (ACC's with Slicktricks shooting the MQ 32) and the ran about 55 yards and flopped over in some cockle-burs. Slicktricks fly true for me and their affordable.
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
CMF

I quit using Rage for the same reason, they would open up in the quiver or on the rest if walking.
I switched to Killzones, but went to fixed after shooting two bucks and both times the the head lodged in the opposite shoulder without a pass through.
I've shot several fixed, but so far I like the QAD Exodus, killed an elk with them last year. I also like the Magnus Stinger, and bought some Magnus Black Hornets this year to try out.
The reason I like the Exodus is how short and how small the profile is, It seems like it would be least affected by the wind. It also has minimal noise in the air, unlike a montec, muzzy or other vented heads that have that wizzing sound.
I like the Stinger cause the 2 blade seems to penetrate the best, it also makes for a great head to broadhead tune with, since it flies with the broadheads, but pulls out of the target way easier than a 3 blade. I haven't shot an animal yet with it, but hope to try it out this year. It seems like they'd be easier to sharpen than a 3 blade, but I haven't tried yet, I just practice with old heads and hunt with new ones.
CMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

All this stuff sounds complicated. I have a friend that kills deer consistently with arrowheads that he finds on a riverbank or he buys them sometimes. He just ties them on the end of his shaft and shoots them into a soft spot on the side of a hill to check how they are flying. I have never seen him lose a deer. The key is to pick your shot and hit him where you are suppose to and they die. I'm not that brave to shoot one with a rock but have killed a ton of deer and hogs with a bow with a two blade fixed head and they all will work well if you take your time and let your shot develop so you have the best chance of putting the arrow where it is suppose to go. Pick you a head that you like and put it on a few different recommended arrow shafts for your draw weight and try them out. When you find one that flies good for you go kill a deer with it. Make it simple and fun.
mature8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2020, 05:55 AM   #27 (permalink)

The rare exception mentioned above of fixed heads not flying like field points isn't as rare as you think. When I started archery I used fixed heads. magnus stinger buzzcuts. They flew fantastic. They did not leave good blood....and I know make a good shot blah blah blah....they left marginal blood more often than not but they were good , easy to sharpen, and flew great. My first compound bow was a martin, and the heads flew with my field points when my shafts, rest, and bow were one with each other. years later I bought a new bow and its the bow ive been shooting for the last 8 years. an obsession knightmare. I have done every kind of tuning trick thought to man to that bow and experimented with many many fixed heads. I could not get one to fly with my field points. walk back tune, bare shaft tune, rest movement, longer fletchings, feathers, different arrows, spines, weights...the list goes on. I wasted a lot of time and money. Dealer couldn't tune it either, and he was very good at what he did. So I found a mechanical that shot with my field points and have been with them ever since. Im not saying not to shoot a fixed head...id probably still be trying if I could for the same reasons other people like to but with my current setup I cant....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in