To stop or not to stop - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

I rarely do. I like to draw while the deer is moving...and just wait until they stop with a good angle. That said, If the deer is within 20 yards like most of my shots; I really don't have a problem with a walking deer. It's a pretty fluid situation when you shoot instinctively.

Now if the deer is running (by like chasing a doe), I just pull the bow back and say "Hey deer!". They stop about everytime.... and I just shoot as they are pulling up to look.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

It really depends on the situation. Most of the time I stop them just because itís usually thick and I only have a few openings to shoot through. In a more open area like a field edge or food plot I try to let them stop naturally.
canebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2020, 06:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

both. if hes close stop him. if its a longer than ideal shot. 30 plus...I wouldn't. ive shot them with feeding head down, and ive shot them after stopping them

Old 08-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Jake it's good to see that you are a big part in keeping this forum alive. Nice to see people talking about hunting even when we all have our own opinion on hunting related topics. As far as stopping a animal for a shot versus waiting for the shot to develop on it's own (animal stopping in right spot for shot) most of the time we have already figured out several places to take the shot when he comes through. Deer almost pause at some point at a place where you have predetermined you have confidence to make the shoot. The only exception I sometimes see is when a rutting buck is coming through and he has somewhere to go on his mind. As canebrake said above each situation is different so nothing is a guarantee but I would rather a deer stop on his own to give me the shoot I want instead of him knowing I was anywhere near him. I bow hunted many years before I ever heard off stopping a deer and this was on the first hunting videos that came out . Before that I was not aware of it. Yes you can stop but they don't always stop where you want them to so I would rather them to walk off and hunt them another day.
mature8pointer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mature8pointer View Post
Jake it's good to see that you are a big part in keeping this forum alive. Nice to see people talking about hunting even when we all have our own opinion on hunting related topics.
Thank you! I'm crazy passionate about deer hunting, and most of my family and friends have long since gotten tire of discussing it with me - LOL - so i value places like the Bull where I can express myself and get feedback. You guys wouldn't believe what I've learned here. If I can share something valuable, I'm super glad to to it!

Quote:
I bow hunted many years before I ever heard off stopping a deer and this was on the first hunting videos that came out . Before that I was not aware of it. .
Yep! I started hunting deer in 1976, and I'd never heard the term "stopping a deer." Heck, we saw so few deer in those days that we weren't sure what you were supposed to do, but making any kind of noise was an absolute NO-NO! So yelling at a deer would never cross our minds, haha. For sure, the hunting videos from old timers like Jim Shockey and others revealed techniques that eventually spread all over, but back then we were sort of making it up as we went along. Heck, well into the late 1960s my dad and his hunting buddies didn't even put up tree stands. They thought that was something only "yankees" did in far away, arctic places like Illinois and Michigan, LOL!
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Jakesnake. Sounds like they were too exhausted to care. Seen that before too. Heck I’ve BEEN there lol.
Bhanks55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Iíve shot several that where under 25 yards and walking at a slow pace , pick a spot on shoulder and send it , should stay in kill zone fine . Any further then 25 and your looking for trouble shooting a walker .
howie g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhanks55 View Post
Jakesnake. Sounds like they were too exhausted to care. Seen that before too. Heck Iíve BEEN there lol.
Bhanks55 you may be right. Who knows how long that pursuit had been going on? We all know that during the rut bucks do things they would NEVER otherwise do, but this is by far the most blatant case of the reproductive urge and the chase causing TWO deer to totally disgregard their own safety.

I've sat and watched much more energetic chasing before, where the doe looked to be running for her life, with the buck hounding her like a rabid bloodhound - crashing through blowdowns, splashing through creeks, jumping fences....just crazy fast action. But these two deer seemed almost sedated. It's like they were on a 50-mile march and were almost hypnotized.

One of my favorite things about hunting is that over time a hunter will see the most unusual, fascinating things that 99% of people miss because they spend their lives working around the clock, laying on the couch playing video games and watching garbage on TV, or creating fake worlds on Facebook! lol
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in