Bow recommendation for adult beginner - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bow recommendation for adult beginner

The son of a close friend has come to me for direction on getting into bowhunting. He's of shorter stature, very stocky and powerful frame, good athlete. He is a serious, focused person, so I'm confident he'll stick to it and this weill be something he does for a long time.

He's a college student with little income, so I think he's a good candidate for that class of bows in the $400 range like Mission or perhaps something like the Bear Species. One of my favorite personalities on the THP channel is Ted, a younger guy who's become one heck of a hunter. A couple years ago he purchased the Bear Species package, and I cannot imagine that young man doing any better than he is at this point.

These bows are often sold in packages, which include things like the rest, pin sights, peep, release, and quiver.

I have personal experience with Mathews and Mission bows. I own one of each now, and I like them very much. But I'm open to any suggestions. I'm trying to get him set up and ready to hunt for about $550.

Thanks!
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2020, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

The one constant I have found out about archery is fit. I’d take the man and line up the bows in his price range and let the bow choose him. I may love the draw of one bow that another would hate. Mathews/bear/mission/Hoyt/bow tech. There’s something out there for him. Let him find one that is fun to shoot for him. All else can be changed later as he progresses but one that he enjoys the feel of makes a world of difference!

Also don’t dismiss pse. They make great bows in their bowmadness series

Last edited by Missed mallards 1; 08-21-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Missed mallards 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missed mallards 1 View Post
let the bow choose him.
That's fantastic advice. In fact, looking back it's exactly what I did. For a couple years while Sportsmans Warehouse was closed we had an excellent bow shop nearby. The guy knew his stuff and kept a good inventory of bows, esp considering the small size of his shop. When I wanted a new bow I went there and shot about 8 different bows from 3-4 different manufacturers. Didn't know the brand or price of any of them. And like you say, the bow absolutely chose me. As soon as I released the arrow I knew. It happened to be the Mission Eliminator II, which I was pleasantly surprised to learn cost significantly less than some of the other bows I didn't like at all.

And, yes, PSE is definitely on the list of possibilities. Thanks.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a Matthew Switchback 28” draw. Everything he needs to get going. Drop away rest, HHA sight, Hardcore release, half dozen Gold Tip arrows, and two cases. I’ll let it go-for $350. Sold

Last edited by slbdeerhunter; 09-16-2020 at 06:13 PM.
slbdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2020, 05:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Go to a good bow shop and let them adjust the bow to fit him. A bow that fits will keep him from starting bad habits and is much more enjoyable to shoot. B&B in Pearl would have Mission bows and are very knowledgeable and friendly.
ji63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in