My opening day.. - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My opening day..

I had opening day off, so I figured I would take full advantage of it, being I have to work the next 6 days.. I had two particular bucks that i really wanted to get after early in the season before the patterns changed.. I have a 130" 8 point on one property i hunt and a giant 4 point on the other.. The 8 point was in a much more sensitive area, so I decided to hunt the 4 point opening morning and the 8 in the afternoon..

The 4 point was on camera between 5:30a and 6:30a most every morning, so I snuck into the stand around 4:50a.. Of course, the deer were there waiting on me and blew the trees down.

I climbed up to hunt anyway and up until 8:07, there was nothing.. Finally, a doe eased into shooting range and I decided it was a good time to break the ice..

I took her home, grabbed some lunch, cleaned my arrow and sharpened my broadhead.. I had one new one and a couple that had been re-sharpened..

I got to the land where the big 8 point was and the timber company decided to start cutting timber on the opening day of deer season..

I spun around and drove back to the same stand i hunted at that morning (45min drive), being it was the only stand with a good wind.. At around 3pm, I had a coyote slip in.. I didn't have enough time to swop to an old broadhead, so i sent the last new one I had at him.. Upon release, the bottom of my bow smacked the seat of my stand and the arrow went two feet above him..

At this point, I was back to my old arrow and broadhead from the morning hunt.. I figured there was no way I would see much, but i was enjoying the beautiful day anyway..

I seen several does, and a couple young bucks early.. At around 6:50p, I see what looks like a brahman bull walk out directly under my stand.. He was almost into my big shooting lane when a couple bucks in his group started fighting right inside the wood line.. He spun around and started trotting towards them.. He stopped in a tiny shooting lane, and i let an arrow fly..

It wasn't as easy of a recovery as i had hoped, but after a phone call, some K9 help and a long time of worry, I had this brute in my hands! He went around 150-200yds.. He was 10yds from the base of my tree, so i hit him high and it was supposed to come out low.. I guess my bow didn't have enough KE to push the arrow through this big joker..

He weighed 200lb on the dot.. Main beams came out to R - 20" and L - 20.5"

Everyone keeps calling him a cull (or coil), but i refuse.. I am treating this buck as he is, a Trophy that deserves recognition! He will be on my trophy wall a long time to come..

Thanks everyone, and have a safe/blessed season!

"In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by HNHOutdoors; 10-02-2020 at 10:37 AM.
HNHOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

If anyone knows how to shrink these photos down, let me know.

"In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen."

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tjc

Congrats on a great day. That’s a big old sucker. I have pics of a buck that’s very close to him.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNHOutdoors View Post
If anyone knows how to shrink these photos down, let me know.
Wow! FANTASTIC job! What a way to start deer season! Congrats!

To shrink the photos, you need to do it before you upload. If you are sending from your phone, you can use the built-in photo editor. Just use the "edit" menu and look for the "resize" feature. If you have a percentage option, choose 35% or so and you should be fine. Save the pic in the new size and upload that. If you use a PC, then you can open the file in Microsoft Paint and do the same thing. Resize it smaller, save it, and upload the edited/resized file.

Does that make sense?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake66 View Post
Wow! FANTASTIC job! What a way to start deer season! Congrats!

To shrink the photos, you need to do it before you upload. If you are sending from your phone, you can use the built-in photo editor. Just use the "edit" menu and look for the "resize" feature. If you have a percentage option, choose 35% or so and you should be fine. Save the pic in the new size and upload that. If you use a PC, then you can open the file in Microsoft Paint and do the same thing. Resize it smaller, save it, and upload the edited/resized file.

Does that make sense?
You are the man,,, thank you sir!

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

I’d shoot “forkhorns” like that all day long...congrats!
mossyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNHOutdoors View Post
You are the man,,, thank you sir!
You are more than welcome, glad to help!

Now that I can see that buck so much better, WOW..what a stud! Tell anyone who calls that a "cull" to kiss off! That is absolutey a trophy. You'll see countless more "symmetrical" 6-8-10 points than you will something like that. I'll take something rare and interesting over "perfection" any day! How long are those beams? What about the bases? Seems like an older deer.

As for your experince with your arrow, perhaps take a look at the theories being discussed by "The Ranch Fairy," a guy named Troy Fowler who's a dedicated student of Dr Ed Asby. His Youtube channel is excellent, and I'm thinking about moving my setup that direction. You may already know about this and have opinions. In that case, just disregard. But since everything he does is to maximize penetration, it came to mind when I read your story.

However, with your start to the season it's clear you don't need any help from me or anyone else!
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake66 View Post
You are more than welcome, glad to help!

Now that I can see that buck so much better, WOW..what a stud! Tell anyone who calls that a "cull" to kiss off! That is absolutey a trophy. You'll see countless more "symmetrical" 6-8-10 points than you will something like that. I'll take something rare and interesting over "perfection" any day! How long are those beams? What about the bases? Seems like an older deer.

As for your experince with your arrow, perhaps take a look at the theories being discussed by "The Ranch Fairy," a guy named Troy Fowler who's a dedicated student of Dr Ed Asby. His Youtube channel is excellent, and I'm thinking about moving my setup that direction. You may already know about this and have opinions. In that case, just disregard. But since everything he does is to maximize penetration, it came to mind when I read your story.

However, with your start to the season it's clear you don't need any help from me or anyone else!
Beams were R - 20" and L - 20.5",, dont know on bases, but he has crazy mass all the way up.. I definitely have considered a heavier arrow, or something to help with KE.. Ill check that out!

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Congrats on a great buck with a lot of character!
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2020, 01:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tjc

Not trying to take away from your post but that buck looks a lot like one I’ve been getting pics of. I’d love a chance at this one. Congrats again on a very unique buck.

Last edited by Tjc; 10-03-2020 at 01:50 AM.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in