Broadhead question - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 10-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Broadhead question

I am considering switching broadheads out of my crossbow. I used the spitfire- when the spitfire maxx came out they changed IMO, have been using the Rage, the blades bend to easily and are 1 maybe 2 uses at best. I am interested in hearing what everyone has good success with.
stork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can recommend what I use in my Ravin R20. Rage hypodermic 125 gr. Fly very close to 125 gr field points. Never had a deer or hog travel over 40 yards. Tough, strong and can buy replacement blades and reuse or re sharpen yourself. Massive exit wounds.
capnbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rage trypan and don’t look back. I shot the spitfires many moons ago and I assure you they are junk compared to the trypan. I shot several deer with spitfires that would have never been recovered without a pod. Shot a 10pt this year opening day with rage trypan dead center front shoulder quartering to me and blew through it. Damage was massive. Could I reuse it??? No but I just buy new ones instead of the hassle. Kinda like turkey shells. You can pay 10$ a shell for a tss shell or buy a box of lead turkey loads for 10$ but you get what you pay for. I shot rage ever since they came out years ago and my only complaint was the tip sucked. Hypodermic was an improvement but now the trypan is the Cadillac!!!!!!!

Last edited by lilwhitelie; 10-15-2020 at 08:15 PM.
lilwhitelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tjc

I agree. I’ve shot spitfires for years but switched to the Rage Hypodermics this year after Canebrake recommended them. The main difference is you can see blood on the ground from both the entry and exit hole. You can actually follow blood trails by walking the same path the deer took and have blood to your left and right. The spitfires never bled from the entrance hole. Massive blood trails like I’ve never seen from any other head. 3 for 3 this year. If the Trypans are better that’s crazy good.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Tjc like I said I shot the rage for years as soon as they came out. Then the hypodermics because they were worlds better than the original but look at the trypans when you get a chance. Again a big upgrade. Looks like an ax hit them but my main concern is always penetration and the original heads if you hit shoulder just sucked. Then the hypodermics came along and they were a major upgrade. Loved them till I saw the trypan. And if they improve that tip I will buy the next model.
lilwhitelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

The best combination of best flight (i.e. tight groups) and blood I've gotten was with the ordinary 4-blade Muzzy. In my crossbow, they flew better than the 3-blade. I've never lost an animal yet with one.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don’t know about cross bows but I have successfully used the NAP Kill Zone for the past several years.
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Drysdale View Post
I donít know about cross bows but I have successfully used the NAP Kill Zone for the past several years.
I also use these. Great heads just not for crossbows.
canebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in