Help deciding on new x-bow - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help deciding on new x-bow

Decided to buy one for me and my daughter to use. Want to start with an entry level package and go from there. I've looked at the PSE Fang and several of the Barnetts. Would like to stay in that price range, $300 to $400. Suggestions?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bought a Barnett Raptor $305 for my wife. Shoots as well as my $900 x bow and a lot more compact.
Topwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
Bought a Barnett Raptor $305 for my wife. Shoots as well as my $900 x bow and a lot more compact.
Where did you find it at that price?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know about the newer Barnetts but the older ones had VERY poor longevity records. I shoot a Wicked Ridge which is TenPoint's bargain line. Even being their bargain line, they'll run about $400 for the package. If I had to choose again, I'd pick either another Wicked Ridge or one of the Mission Xbows.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

ebay
Topwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Best price for crossbows that I have found is Wvern. Most of the time, he'll package some new arrows with them too.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

The PSE Fang is a pretty good little xbow. Several friends have them and they shoot reliably. You can find them online for $300 or so.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
That's what I have and I enjoy mine. My wife got it for me off Amazon for @ $350 or so, with free shipping.

The ONLY problem I've had with it is one of the screws for adjusting the stock shoulder plate stripped out in the plastic, but I fixed that with a little Gorilla Glue.

It does have some bad reviews for string breakage, but I've shot mine dozens of times with no issue. I suspect people aren't storing, transporting, or taking care of their's properly but who knows?
wfulks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywallace View Post
The PSE Fang is a pretty good little xbow. Several friends have them and they shoot reliably. You can find them online for $300 or so.
That's what I went with. So far, so good. Very accurate. Only thing I didn't like was when I left the cocking rope attached to the string and it almost ripped my wrist and thumb off!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in