Crossbow bolts - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crossbow bolts

I was able to purchase a Wicked Ridge crossbow this past spring from a fellow that purchased it and never pulled it out of the box. I need to get some bolts and a cocking mechanism. Is there one bolt out there I should be looking for or are most pretty solid. Same ? for a cocking device. I am hoping my son gets a deer with it this year.
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can use the term arrows. "Bolt" is largely out of style these days. As to choice, I've been buying Ten Point/Wicked Ridge brand arrows off Ebay for about 5 years. When bought off Ebay, the price point is about the same as any other quality arrow. Just be sure of three things.
1. Arrow length is the same.
2. Arrow weight and diameter is the same.
3. Arrow uses the Omni Nock (critical - don't use ordinary flat or groved nocks)

As to cocking devise, most Wicked Ridge crossbows come with a built-in devise but for those that don't Ten Point/Wicked Ridge sells a couple of portable devises. I've actually thought about replacing my built-in Accudraw devise with a portable one because the built-in devise can be a little noisy in the stand if you bump it.

For broadheads, most users find that crossbows do better with fixed broadheads instead of expandables. Personally, I found that Muzzy 4-blades grouped better than Muzzy 3-blades.

Good luck.

Last edited by DoyleAlley; 09-12-2018 at 02:03 PM.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleAlley View Post
You can use the term arrows. "Bolt" is largely out of style these days. As to choice, I've been buying Ten Point/Wicked Ridge brand arrows off Ebay for about 5 years. When bought off Ebay, the price point is about the same as any other quality arrow. Just be sure of three things.
1. Arrow length is the same.
2. Arrow weight and diameter is the same.
3. Arrow uses the Omni Nock (critical - don't use ordinary flat or groved nocks)

As to cocking devise, most Wicked Ridge crossbows come with a built-in devise but for those that don't Ten Point/Wicked Ridge sells a couple of portable devises. I've actually thought about replacing my built-in Accudraw devise with a portable one because the built-in devise can be a little noisy in the stand if you bump it.

For broadheads, most users find that crossbows do better with fixed broadheads instead of expandables. Personally, I found that Muzzy 4-blades grouped better than Muzzy 3-blades.

Good luck.
So you’re saying those bolts identify as arrows?
urbanbucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanbucks View Post
So you’re saying those bolts identify as arrows?
Yep. In fact, using the term bolts on the crossbow forums these days gets you laughed at.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I purchased some arrows and got a target and was able to shoot it this afternoon. Didn’t take long to get it sighted in. Dead on at 20 and 30 but drops quite a bit at 40. My son got to practice with it and he did pretty well. I have him shooting off a tripod with a primos vise. Next step is to find me a good feed tree. My old tried and true trees are about to go under water with the river rising.
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in