Posting??? - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

I recently added a crossbow to my items, wasn't because it was easier to shoot or anything, just a simple financial decision. I got a crossbow that shoots 170FPS for $300.00, finding a compound that will do the same thing would easily be over 1K. I've found that the x-bow limits you on certain shots out of a climber.
msplumber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msplumber View Post
I've found that the x-bow limits you on certain shots out of a climber.
True, but it also adds the ability to make certain other shots. For example, an extreme angle to the right (for a right-handed shooter). You just have to learn to switch the crossbow over to the left shoulder and shoot as if you were left handed.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleAlley View Post
The only real "advantage" a crossbow gives a user is that it takes less range time in order to gain hunting proficiency. That's it. Let them whine all they want. A crossbow hunter is still a bow hunter.
IMO, there is at least one more significant advantage to using a cross-bow: They are much easier to hunt with from the ground, because they require less movement. A crossbow is more like a rifle in this regard. You can have it more or less in position when the opportunity presents itself, without the need to lift the bow into position, draw back, aim through a peep hole, and release. With a crossbow, it's aim and fire. I haven't used a crossbow yet, but given my preference for hunting from the ground, it's getting very tempting.

One more point: To anyone looking down on hunters who use crossbows - STOP IT! Quit comparing it to a vertical bow! Think of it as another tool - a legal, ethical tool - to get the job done in an efficient humane way. If I use a 18th century flintlock to hunt deer, I'm not going to look down on a guy using a 300 win mag. They are two completely different things, and it's the hunter's choice to use what he/she wants to use. Just because you've got some ideological problem with it doesn't mean they are wrong. Good grief, we hunters need to stick together and quit bickering about meaningless BS. Let each hunter choose what fits them best and go out and continue this great tradition. If it's not imposing on you and your life, why on earth would you care how someone else chooses to hunt??? Mind your own darn business.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 06:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleAlley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msplumber View Post
I've found that the x-bow limits you on certain shots out of a climber.
True, but it also adds the ability to make certain other shots. For example, an extreme angle to the right (for a right-handed shooter). You just have to learn to switch the crossbow over to the left shoulder and shoot as if you were left handed.
The biggest advantage and I will admit it and use it as long as it’s legal is the extra daylight it allows. If you put a quality scope on it you can hunt those crucial minutes you just can’t do with a bow.
lilwhitelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tjc

Bingo
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in