Posting??? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Posting???

No-one ever post here. My guess is you don't want to take all the crap from " real bowhunters". It's a shame that HUNTERS can't show their enjoyment w/o being criticized by other HUNTERS. #disabledhunter #hunterssupportinghunters
Delta_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Momma told me if I donít have anything nice to say to keep my mouth shut. lol

Nah I donít know anything bout crossbows. You can bet your bottom dollar that if I ever have an injury that prevents me from pulling my bow back that Iíll have me a crossbow for sure.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vertical bow hunters tend to think that using a crossbow is somehow "cheating". Well, I tell you as a former vertical bow hunter that there are very few advantages that come from switching to a crossbow.

1. Crossbow is NOT an "extra range" devise. That is because they are so much louder than an ordinary bow that any potential extra range is negated by the likelihood of the deer jumping the string.
2. Crossbows are MUCH more uncomfortable to carry around. They are awkward and heavy. Vertical bow is much easier to carry.

The only real "advantage" a crossbow gives a user is that it takes less range time in order to gain hunting proficiency. That's it. Let them whine all they want. A crossbow hunter is still a bow hunter.

Because of the weight and carry issue, I really wish I could still use a vertical bow. I would have never changed. 2 bad shoulders made me switch.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
Momma told me if I don’t have anything nice to say to keep my mouth shut. lol

Nah I don’t know anything bout crossbows. You can bet your bottom dollar that if I ever have an injury that prevents me from pulling my bow back that I’ll have me a crossbow for sure.
I hope none of the "real" hunters suffer a life changing health event. I was a die hard bowhunter, hardly ever used my rifle until July 31, 2014. Debilitating stroke ruined my life.
Delta_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

It’s not the people that need to use cross bows that bothers me. I imagine there will come a time I’ll need to use one. It’s the ones that have never bow hunted a day in their life that are now “bow hunters”. I know quite a few people that have never sat in the deer woods a single day in October until cross bows were legal. They were the ones always saying “ There ain’t no way I’d go out there and fight the heat and skeeters to kill a deer.” But guess what they’re doing right now. What it really boils down to is that they didn’t want to take the time to learn how to shoot a bow. And now there’s no distance restrictions on feeders they don’t even have to learn how to put thier self in the right tree to kill.
Red-Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Red-Arrow;1953030179] Itís the ones that have never bow hunted a day in their life that are now ďbow huntersĒ.

HOW CAN A PERSON BE BOTHERED BY SOMEONE ELSE DECIDING TO HUNT A LEGAL AND ETHICAL WAY??????????????????????
Governor11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_Hunter View Post
No-one ever post here. My guess is you don't want to take all the crap from " real bowhunters". It's a shame that HUNTERS can't show their enjoyment w/o being criticized by other HUNTERS. #disabledhunter #hunterssupportinghunters
if you are a disabled hunter as you claim then you have no dog in the fight....nobody is making fun of disabled people using xbows....just the newbs and wanabes
Old 10-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Imagine this. You have saved and planned for a lifetime for an elk hunt out west. The day finally arrives. After an unbelievable amount of of hard hunting the moment finally arrives. The herd is moving your way. You load and **** your crossbow. This sentry cow crosses the ridge first at 25 yards. Three more follow her. The wind is in your favor. You lie in wait for the bull, finger on the trigger, trained on the trail. Final you see the points first coming over the ridge. He steps out at 30 yards broadside. Three cows are feet away from you. You can count their eyelashes. Eyeball to eyeball.

That's the difference between a bow and a crossbow. No you are not less of a man. It's just not the same and it never will be.
gvirden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
cdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvirden View Post
Imagine this. You have saved and planned for a lifetime for an elk hunt out west. The day finally arrives. After an unbelievable amount of of hard hunting the moment finally arrives. The herd is moving your way. You load and **** your crossbow. This sentry cow crosses the ridge first at 25 yards. Three more follow her. The wind is in your favor. You lie in wait for the bull, finger on the trigger, trained on the trail. Final you see the points first coming over the ridge. He steps out at 30 yards broadside. Three cows are feet away from you. You can count their eyelashes. Eyeball to eyeball.

That's the difference between a bow and a crossbow. No you are not less of a man. It's just not the same and it never will be.
It is not the same, but I dont have a problem with someone that wants to hunt that way. Same can be said for recurve bows vs bows with wheels (i.e. compunds). It is not the same.
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleAlley View Post
Vertical bow hunters tend to think that using a crossbow is somehow "cheating". Well, I tell you as a former vertical bow hunter that there are very few advantages that come from switching to a crossbow.

1. Crossbow is NOT an "extra range" devise. That is because they are so much louder than an ordinary bow that any potential extra range is negated by the likelihood of the deer jumping the string.
2. Crossbows are MUCH more uncomfortable to carry around. They are awkward and heavy. Vertical bow is much easier to carry.

The only real "advantage" a crossbow gives a user is that it takes less range time in order to gain hunting proficiency. That's it. Let them whine all they want. A crossbow hunter is still a bow hunter.

Because of the weight and carry issue, I really wish I could still use a vertical bow. I would have never changed. 2 bad shoulders made me switch.
I will agree 1000000% on carrying a xbow!!!!!!! It sucks if you have to walk even not that far. May be easier now that they have a few really short ones but my mission is just a pain and no sling is gonna help because of how they are weighted.

I will say the one nice advantage using a xbow over a vertical bow is a little speed and a little distance but the biggest advantage by far is the ability to put as good a scope on it as you can afford to give you the extra time to gather light vertical bow hunting doesn’t allow.

All the BS on the 100yd inch groups is just for show but I could see someone that has never used one buying into the idea they could shoot one that far. The deer could move 50yds before the bolt got to it.

I love my old elite I had before they became popular but if I have an easy place to get to I take my xbow. Let me kill a buck I never would have shot last year with a vertical bow at low light. I will say something that has shocked me is I have lost 2 deer in 2 years with it and I can’t remember the last deer I lost with the elite. But both deer were close and smacked in spine and bolt seemed to hit the spine and deflect. Had one lay there a few minutes and got up struggling and I was sure would be dead a few yards away. Not the case. Got a dog and hours later the dog ran the deer by me and she stopped to watch the dog and I could plainly see the gash made by the rage. At 15 yds it should have shattered the spine. On perfect broadside shots they are great but I will be using something else now.

Last edited by lilwhitelie; 08-13-2019 at 09:21 AM.
lilwhitelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in