Cold Feet - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

As a young hunter, my feet always got cold. I lived a few years in Montana and learned a lot of tricks. Here are my suggestions:
1. Never wear cotton socks or put cotton next to your skin - anywhere!
2. Put on some thin polypropylene socks and then a good pair of wool socks. Wool will keep you warm even when damp.
3. In Mississippi, I wear some Lacrosse Alpha Burly insulated boots when it gets cold.
4. Keep your head and neck covered because you can lose 30% of body heat from neck and head. When your feet and hands get cold, it's because your body temp drops and your brain programs the body to keep the head warm and reduces blood flow to the extremities (hands and feet).
5. With the exception of your feet - dress in layers with a wind proof outer shell.

6. It is very hard to beat some high quality goose down for those long sits in the cold.
7. Use some of those adhesive heat packs. I like to put them on the middle of my chest and then put some insulated layers over the top. When it gets really cold, I put them on the back of my neck, lower back and down the pants!!
8. Insultex thermal insulation is also great. This is what they make survival and snow mobile suits with - It is lightweight and not bulky. Check out www.idigear.com
9. Good gloves - my preference are mittens for better trigger control and texting.

Last edited by 1984dog; 02-15-2021 at 01:00 PM.
1984dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in