What Power Do You Shoot At On Scope - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunt1988 View Post
I don't carry binos as they are somewhat useless for the way I hunt (no food plots)..
It's pretty rare for me and DH1988 to disagree, but I cannot FATHOM not carrying binos! And the irony is that I'm dependent on them precisely because I also don't hunt food plots or open areas. I mostly hunt long stretches of bottom-land covered in buck-brush, and I constantly "glass" for better visibility in the super-thick stuff. Without binos the environment is thoroughly 2D, and I will fail to detect deer that may be only 30 yards away. I use the binos for the depth perception and detail, and I've lost count how many deer I've picked up by being able to distinguish a body part that would blend too perfectly with my naked eye. There've been times I've walked 1/2 mile back to the truck after forgetting my binos. I'm 100% totally dependent on them.

Interesting how we've all adapted our styles so differently.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake66 View Post
It's pretty rare for me and DH1988 to disagree, but I cannot FATHOM not carrying binos! And the irony is that I'm dependent on them precisely because I also don't hunt food plots or open areas. I mostly hunt long stretches of bottom-land covered in buck-brush, and I constantly "glass" for better visibility in the super-thick stuff. Without binos the environment is thoroughly 2D, and I will fail to detect deer that may be only 30 yards away. I use the binos for the depth perception and detail, and I've lost count how many deer I've picked up by being able to distinguish a body part that would blend too perfectly with my naked eye. There've been times I've walked 1/2 mile back to the truck after forgetting my binos. I'm 100% totally dependent on them.

Interesting how we've all adapted our styles so differently.

I agree with your binocular comments. I don't even feel right unless I have them with me.
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am one of the keep it on the low side guys for the same reasons stated by DoyleAlley. A deer(or varmit) in close often gives little time or opportunity to dial down where as further out you usually have more chance to dial up. In the woods I go about 4, more open and longer distances 6 plus as needed. I also use binos for deer and squirrels.
trapperb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 10:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Generally keep my scope on 6X but will adjust it to more if given the time once I see a shooter.
FCHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee View Post
I agree with your binocular comments. I don't even feel right unless I have them with me.
I will turn around and go back to camp to get my binocs. Same thing for hearing protection if I am not using a suppressed rifle.

Looking though binocs has cost me a couple of fast moving deer, but it has allowed me to see many more deer that I would not have otherwise seen.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywallace View Post
I will turn around and go back to camp to get my binocs. Same thing for hearing protection if I am not using a suppressed rifle.

Looking though binocs has cost me a couple of fast moving deer, but it has allowed me to see many more deer that I would not have otherwise seen.
Randy, that's very interesting about the hearing protection. My wife is an audiologist, and I was a professional musician from age 16 to sometime in my late 30s. When my wife and I met (I was 24 at the time) she instisted on testing my hearing, and when she discovered a moderate hearing loss in my left ear (the side that faced my guitar amp) she got all violent on me (wasn't the last time, LOL) and demanded I get quality hearing protection for live performance and hunting/shooting. I love her for it, BUT....how do you hunt with your hearing impaired? Of course I wear hearing protection when I shoot, but I've had NO luck adjusting to hearing protection while hunting. I hunt from the ground in thick stuff, so I often hear the deer before I see it. Do you hunt in such a way that hearing isn't as critical? Or have you invested in the higher-priced technology that protects your ears while allowing you to hear pretty well?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

I keep mine around 6 most of the time.
leadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

Most of these posts have their opinions based on distance. Conditions are also an important part of the equation. Case in point, in foggy conditions cranking it up to a higher power only magnifies what is in the field of view.
Shackbully58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

Default scope magnification

If hunting woods I keep it set on the lowest power. If I'm hunting a power line or field I'm usually at 4X. On a high hill in the open where a shot may be longer I inch up to 5X. If the rut is on where bucks may be running I crank back down to the lowest power. If he is out there a ways, I crank to maximum (10X or 12X depending on the gun I'm carrying) as I bring up the rifle.
Outrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

There is some excellent info in this thread. For me, it all depends on the stand/conditions. If I'm in thick woods/brush - I use a low power setting because a deer may come running through and it is easier to find a moving object at low power verses a high power. During twilight or dusk conditions, I move my scope to a lower setting because they bring in more light at lower settings. If I am hunting on a food plot or over a cut over - I will typically set the scope at maybe 1/3rd of maximum power and dial it up when I get on target. I likewise use binoculars a lot and use them to determine deer details (rack size, age and etc.) before I put a scope on the deer. Jakesnake66 post gives some excellent approach as well. I have used his approach to "selective focus" and pan through thick woods/brush and I am often surprised to see a deer body part that I would look over without binoculars. I have found deer bedded down within 40 yards of me that have been there for a couple hours.

Last edited by 1984dog; 02-15-2021 at 12:24 PM.
1984dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in