What can you tell by this pic? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What can you tell by this pic?

This is the only pic I have of this deer, but I'm almost certain it's the deer I saw last December, and I think I have his sheds. I know this isn't much to go on, but does it look like a really good buck?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg papawBuck1.jpg (99.6 KB, 107 views)
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Id shoot him
mossyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Shooter at my place.
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Looks like a great buck to me
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tjc

Looks like a really good buck to me
Tjc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dec 17 last season I saw this buck at 4:20pm. He appeared 250 yards to my west, leisurely walking south toward buckbrush. I've never seen a buck that looked so large on the hoof, and I don't mean his rack. While that walking-away pic doesn't convey it, this buck is LARGE - a solid 200 pounder if I've ever seen one. I had about 10 seconds to make the shot, but since I was carrying my 35 Whelen I held up thinking he would turn toward me to go around all the standing water, which would halve the distance. But I watched helplessly as he turned toward the water and disappeared.

Now, by mid-Dec my 2019 season had SUCKED big time! I'd not seen anything to even keep me interested, much less something to shoot at. So after this awesome buck exited my life I just sat there 100% dejected. I'd not seen a good deer all season, so what were my chances of seeing something else on this day? I came thiiiis close to packing up and leaving.

But then God gave me a swift kick in the pants and taught me a lesson I'll never forget: DO NOT GIVE UP! Fifty-five minutes later a fine heavy-horned 8pt appeared 150 yards to my east, and I was fortunate enough to make a good off-hand shot. I posted the story and pics of that buck on the Bull.

Here are what I believe are the sheds of the buck this thread is about. My son found them when he was running his dog earlier this year. The beams are 22" and 22.5 inches. Bases are right at 5 inches. G2s are 10.5" and 11 inches. It's going to take a tremendous amount of focus and luck to get this guy before rifle season starts. He lives and travels in an area where there are no suitable trees for climbing. I'm trying to develop a plan to hunt him in a ground blind, but blinds stick out like a sore thumb in this buckbrush. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg papawbuck sheds1 ed.jpg (103.9 KB, 30 views)
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in