Caliber of choice? - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

300 win mag. You can never have too much. 25 yrs running it. Thanks to suppressors I don’t see why more don’t use them. Someone stated magnum calibers aren’t needed and that is correct. I can kill a deer with a well placed .22 but I wouldn’t. I have seen deer shot with some mentioned calibers that deer ran forever or were lost. I will take the larger caliber that allows for a larger margin of error and a bigger bullet. Shot placement is critical but we have all been there and done that and if every shot taken was perfect there would be no need for blood dogs.
lilwhitelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

When I bought my rifle .270 was what many people were shooting (at least in central Alabama). I’m surprised no one has mentioned it..
Jquinn5611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Iíve only shot 2. Its either my old Remington woods master 742 ďjam masterĒ that my dad handed down to me 2 decades ago or my .35 whelen.

Recently Iíve been using the whelen but may slap a newer scope on the .06 just because.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
I donít have a caliber of choice, per se... Personally, Iím more attached to the individual rifles themselves than the rounds they are chambered for.
Yep. Exactly the same here. I hunt from the ground in super thick stuff, usually stalking through buckbrush, so for me it's all about handling. I like short barrels, carbines, and fatter bullets. I've killed more deer over the past 20 years with a 45-70 H&R single shot than any other, but my 35 Whelen has been my choice for the past few years. I hand load, which gives me a lot of flexibility with bullet weight and velocity choices. IMO, being "at one" with your weapon is way more important than cartridge choice. Countless deer are killed every year with a pointed stick moving a couple hundred feet per second. There's no need to carry a bazooka into the woods, although there's not a thing wrong with it, either.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

It's rare for me to have a shot that's more than 100 yards, so 9 times out of 10 I reach for my 45-70.

Hyckory Styck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

At one time, I preferred super duper magnums in rifle and shotguns. Now, give me a .308 with a good scope and a 20 gauge with TSS.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywallace View Post
At one time, I preferred super duper magnums in rifle and shotguns. Now, give me a .308 with a good scope and a 20 gauge with TSS.
This^^
canebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Growing up i killed ALOT of deer with my 270 bar... then i went to a 270 shortmag and love it... but i got my son a ruger 308 compact and now its my choice to carry anytime he isnt using it!! short and light!!!
haypatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

I no longer use magnums been using sako308 for years and t/c 35 whelen during primitive.
goodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

I am perplexed that I am the only one that shoots a 7RM. Lots of different choices so far. 270, 280, 30-06, 308, 270WSM, 35 Whelen, 45-70, 300WM and 30.30 but no 7RM’s.

Last edited by Mr Drysdale; 10-10-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in