Caliber of choice? - Page 3 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #21 (permalink)

I hunted with a 270 for a long time. No issues. Ive had a 260 for several years. Ruger M77 MkII compact stainless. Bought it for my wife, girlfriend at the time years ago. Have let a few friends and youth borrow it. Last year I started using it because of its size, and weather resistant capabalities to pack on with me climbing and hunting public lands. Killed a buck with it and was well pleased with results, so ill be taking it again this year. I still use the 270 but I did a nice makeover on it 2 years ago nice fiberglass stock, scope, phenomonal trigger job. its pretty much reserved as box stand gun or anywhere I need a little more range and don't have a walk that will possibly have me dropping it in the mud. its got the bigger scope between the 2 so food plots or anywhere Im not stuck in the timber I take it but its rare. The 270 is one of my favorites, I don't knock people who shoot 30-06 or other calibers but for me the 270 recoil is very very manageable, almost non existent, my particular rifle shoots very easily and accurate, and I think most people could take it and shoot it well. I love it. its killed many deer. im sure if I made a subpar shot It could be difficult to recover the deer, but im fairly conservative with the shots I take.....and ive let a lot of deer get away from or live over the years because of it.

Last edited by dzsmith; 10-11-2020 at 10:37 AM.
dzsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2020, 01:28 AM   #22 (permalink)

Default Caliber of choice

Best friend started using an X-Bolt 7MM "Mangleum" exclusively last year at age 74. Touts it as the Hammer of Thor with all deer shot DRT. Used BAR .'06 for years, but wanted something that was more accurate and had more reach here and in the Rockies. Think he found both in the "Mangleum".
Outrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

my caliber of choice is the 243 and the 7mm-08
all I need, does the job if I do my part
surehuntsalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

If I rifle hunt most times I take my daughter 7mm-08. I love that caliber. Next up on the list is my 300SAUM.
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2020, 11:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

Grew up using a 270. My dad used a 308 and when he passed I inherited his 308. Been using it ever since.
coop411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2021, 01:41 AM   #26 (permalink)

Back in the day 70's & 80's I killed everything on this Continent (sheep, goat, bear, moose, elk, deer) with a 7 mm Mag. The 90's I started lighting up. 270 then on down. My favorite now is a 204 Ruger. Wish I had'n sold my 220 Swift!
rebranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2021, 08:18 AM   #27 (permalink)

I grew up using a Ruger M77 Mark II .270 shooting Federal 130 gr BTSP. I later changed over the 130 gr. Barnes TTSX. Few years ago, I purchased a Bergara B14 Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor and shoot Hornaday Precision Hunter 143 gr. in it and this has become what I carry the majority of my hunts. Three years ago, I started my oldest girl and purchased a CVA Hunter .243 shooting Barnes 80 gr. TTSX. After seeing several deer taken with her .243, I fell in love with the caliber. I recently purchased a Bergara Ridge .243 and will shoot the Barnes 80 gr. TTSX in it also.
-Mercy Me
fedguy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

Well, as it has turned out, my new caliber of choice is the one I bought (or had) ammunition for before 2021!
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in