Scope for my son's 7-08 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scope for my son's 7-08

Gonna get my boy a scope to go on his Ruger American 7-08 for Christmas. He currently has a very cheap BSA that just gets crazy blurry with any kind of sunset in your face or moisture, so I am going to upgrade him. What would be a good one for it? I am currently looking at the Vortex Diamondback 3-10x50 around $200....Meopta Meopro around $500(I really don't know if he needs that much scope at such a young age)
I just want clarity and decent lowlight sun gathering ability.
macpappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
Gonna get my boy a scope to go on his Ruger American 7-08 for Christmas. He currently has a very cheap BSA that just gets crazy blurry with any kind of sunset in your face or moisture, so I am going to upgrade him. What would be a good one for it? I am currently looking at the Vortex Diamondback 3-10x50 around $200....Meopta Meopro around $500(I really don't know if he needs that much scope at such a young age)
I just want clarity and decent lowlight sun gathering ability.
Have the vortex Diamondback on that exact gun for my oldest. Seems to do just fine.

I also have the diamondback on my 35 whelen
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a Hawke 2.5x10x50 that is really bright and clear. Natchez shooting supplies has a Sig Sauer whiskey 3 for a little over a hundred in 3x9x50. I have a whiskey 3 and its super clear and bright. Hawke also has a very good warranty.
ji63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Leupold fan here. Never used their warranty in 30+ years although I did lose a turret cap once on a LPS and they sent me one free. I have them on most of my rifles and prefer the image (glass) in them to the few other brands that I have accumulated over the years. It’s getting that time of year for sales so whatever you buy do your homework. MidwayUSA usually has blemished or demo’s.
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nikon fan here. Prostaff models have the same lifetime warranty the higher end models have. I've been pleased. I wouldn't think twice about a Leupold for a good price though.

I had a bad experience with a Vortex. I'm sure they're fine, but I've got no confidence in them.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Smoke68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2020, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
rt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke68 View Post
Nikon fan here. Prostaff models have the same lifetime warranty the higher end models have...
Nikon quit the scope business a year or so ago. They've got some warranty parts on hand, but they won't last forever. I think you get credit for other Nikon products once that happens.
rt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

You will get as many different opinions on this as people you ask. There is no "right" answer. But I'll offer this: When I was accumulating hunting rifles at an alarming rate for myself, my 3 kids, and my in-laws, I set out to determine the best all-around value in scopes, and I wanted to stay under $200. At the time the "winner" was the Nikon Buckmaster (the original) 3-9x40. However, when Nikon discontinued the Buckmaster and introduced their massively confusing Buckmaster II vs Prostaff vs Monarch crap, I narrowed my search down to the Vortex Diamondback and the Burris E1. In the end the E1 won out, and I now consider the Burris E1 3-9x40mm the best value among many, many excellent options in that market space. I literally cannot fathom anyone being anything but thrilled with the sleek design, clarity, solid feel, durability, and warranty.

BTW, just as good as the Burris and Vortex is the Leupold VX2. I just don't think the additional cost is justified. But it's a fine scope from perhaps the best American scope maker of all.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt8 View Post
Nikon quit the scope business a year or so ago. They've got some warranty parts on hand, but they won't last forever. I think you get credit for other Nikon products once that happens.
What?! RT8, if your goal was to ruin someone's day, mission accomplished. I loved those Nikons. C'est la vie......

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Smoke68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
rt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke68 View Post
What?! RT8, if your goal was to ruin someone's day, mission accomplished. I loved those Nikons. C'est la vie......

Sorry man, but it's true. IDK if it was profits or fear of future political blowback from supporting "hunting", or what...but they announced it at the end of last year.
rt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt8 View Post
Sorry man, but it's true. IDK if it was profits or fear of future political blowback from supporting "hunting", or what...but they announced it at the end of last year.
I truly believe their main problem was self-inflicted. For years they did a great job distinguishing each line of Nikon scopes from the others. You knew when you bought a Prostaff you were getting an excellent "entry level" scope (there were no 3s and 5s then). When you paid the little extra for the Buckmaster you were getting a scope that was built a little better, with slightly better lens coatings. For those who wanted Nikon's top offerings, there was the Monarch line of optics. It was simple and understandable.

But then they wanted all their scopes to look the same and have the same profile, almost certainly for the cost efficiency and consistency across product lines, so they dropped the Buckmaster and introduced the Buckmaster II...which looked EXACTLY like a Prostaff. At the same time the dropped the price of the Buckmaster II to within the same range as the Prostaff. Now customers were asking, "How does the Buckmaster II compare to the Buckmaster?" and, "Is the Buckmaster II any better than the Prostaff?"

Then, they dropped the Buckmaster II and for reasons I'll never understand, confused everyone by introducing the different lines within the lines. They offered the Prostaff 3, Prostaff 5, and Prostaff 7. They did the same with the Monarch - 3, 5, and 7. Suddenly, the customer was left wondering, "Is the Prostaff 5 as good as the Monarch 3?" The prices got all inter-mingled, and it became impossible to know what you were buying compared to the other offerings.

On top of that they had the "223" line of scopes, clearly aimed at the AR market. But could you use a "223" scope on a 308? What about a 300wsm?

Nikon had a GREAT thing going. But they screwed it all up with the absolute worst product designation/identity and marketing I've ever seen in my life.

This is all just my interpretation of things. Make of it what you will.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in