Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Ward Bayou WMA

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bpitt 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone launched a boat at the ramp East of the HQ and went North? I’m thinking about doing that to try to find and area for squirrel hunting that has less pressure.
Just wondering if I can get up in there a mile or so (in a kayak). And if so would that get me away from trails.
Thanks for any information.

#2 ·
I haven't, but I want too as well. I have seen a guy load some deer hounds in a jonboat and go north to let them loose. I have walked south along that bayou looking for squirrel, several years ago, and saw a few. It seems the further I got away from the main road, the more I saw, but the tougher it got going. Lot's of brambles and mudholes.

#3 ·
britt, I figured out how to carry my 22 on my kayak. I’m going to give it a try the first day the weather looks good. I’ll let you know if it works out.
I hunted the trail towards the south too. There were some squirrels but you could tell they knew about hunters.

#4 ·
Cool. Let me know how it goes. If I get down there, I'll let you know. We got a fishcamp off of Bluff Creek. We had thought of motoring over to Ward. Like, most of it is accessible by boat, a lot of that is a long ways from that main road. I figured there'd be more squirrel, rabbits, and maybe hogs in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.