Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums - View Single Post - Snake in the house
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
jakesnake66

Default Snake in the house

Well...last night there was plenty of excitement for all at my place. All 3 of my kids are home (ages 18, 20, 22), and three of their friends were visiting late. About 10:30pm just as I dozed off there was all sorts of commotion outside our bedroom door, and my wife and I angrily called out "BE QUIET OUT THERE!!" Then we heard a reply no one wants to hear: "There's a SNAKE in the house!"

My son Luke had seen the snake slither under the folding louvre doors to a hall closet. After everyone stopped freaking out Luke and I pulled out all the stuff on the closet floor, and the snake wasn't hard to find - between 3-4ft rat snake, coiled up in the corner hissing at us! LOL. While I was devising a plan, Luke returned from the kitchen with an oven mitt, reached in and grabbed the snake by its head, marched down the hallway with the girls - mostly my wife - shrieking, and hurled it off the front porch into the yard just like an old pro!

My wife is still on edge, convinced there are more. But after a little investigative work I'm pretty sure this was a singular event. I found where a piece of weather stripping under the kitchen door had pulled loose leaving a gap large enough to accommodate a skinny snake with a small head. Watching how our cats basically tracked the snake's scent through the den to the closet I'd bet money that snake was looking for a meal around our kitchen door and may have been attracted to either the smells or the cooler air coming from underneath the door.

Certainly an eventful Sunday night!
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote