Small dogs-snakes - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Small dogs-snakes

I have a small bulldog that absolutely loves to tree squirrels. He’s about the best I’ve seen with scent and such. He loves it. With that said, he sleeps with me and his mama every night so safety is a major concern.

When do y’all not focus on snakes so much with your pups? My labs taken a few bites and been ok (teal season), don’t think my little buddy will fair as well though. Any comments on the subject?
Missed mallards 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

One thing you could do is snake-proof train your dog. There are professional trainers who teach a dog to recognize and avoid the smell of a snake.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Small Dogs---Snakes

A FWIW: While running loose near the house my small blood dog (30 lbs.) was bitten by a poisonous snake in the big muscle on the upper hind leg. Fang marks were 1" apart and swelling was bad. Gave him several adult doses of Benadryl and aspirin over two days. Stayed conked out most of that time, but swelling began to subside some the 3rd day and he was full speed in a little over a week. Vet told me that was best course of action when you are in the woods after vet office hours and a dog is bitten. She said she had never seen a dog survive bitten directly in a blood vessel by a big poisonous snake, but most others do survive when bitten in a non-vessel area. Her instructions to me were carry Benadryl with me when in snake areas at night or some distance from vet help.
Outrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

1.5 tsp of Benadryl per 10 lbs.

BTW, what kind of dog do you have? I have squirrel dogs. Has become my favorite kind of hunting over the past 4 or 5 years(except turkey hunting...that will always be #1)
macpappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry,Macpap. Just saw your question. He was a Heinz 57 mix of what I believe to be feist, bulldog, and several others thrown in. Solid brown with very alert, pointed ears, half curl tail over his back, well built and very athletic. I ransomed him out of the local pound for $20. Even at 30 lbs., he thought he was a cross between a German Shepard, Doberman and Great Dane and acted accordingly. Trailed up a number of deer for us shot at last light. Went by the name of Brown Dog. Met his demise several months ago crossing a busy road. Great people dog. Miss him.
Outrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in