Need advice on heartworms - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
MsH

A heartworm infested dog may die regardless of which treatment is used.

A dog's BEST chance of survival is by treating it under the close supervision and guidance of an experienced veterinary professional who has assessed the challenges YOUR PARTICULAR dog is facing.

My only experience with heartworms is with ivermectin-resistant heartworms. It is a growing problem in the Mississippi delta region. I had a dog that NEVER, EVER missed an ivermectin dose, and was NEVER more than 2 days late receiving a dose. The annual heartworm test was negative every year until age 13, when his annual heartworm test came back as a light positive. That's when my vet explained the growing problem of ivermectin-resistant heartworms.

The 'slow kill' method is thought to be contributing to the problem of resistant heartworms: https://www.ovrs.com/blog/heartworm-resistance/

Map showing 'hot spot' of resistant heartworms: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig4_320949639
MsH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tjc

What treatment did you give your 13 year old dog after it tested light positive? Everything I read says 50 to 70 days from the time of infection until worms are in adult stage. Except the article you just posted which says 7 days.

Last edited by Tjc; 02-16-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsH View Post
A heartworm infested dog may die regardless of which treatment is used.

A dog's BEST chance of survival is by treating it under the close supervision and guidance of an experienced veterinary professional who has assessed the challenges YOUR PARTICULAR dog is facing.

My only experience with heartworms is with ivermectin-resistant heartworms. It is a growing problem in the Mississippi delta region. I had a dog that NEVER, EVER missed an ivermectin dose, and was NEVER more than 2 days late receiving a dose. The annual heartworm test was negative every year until age 13, when his annual heartworm test came back as a light positive. That's when my vet explained the growing problem of ivermectin-resistant heartworms.

The 'slow kill' method is thought to be contributing to the problem of resistant heartworms: https://www.ovrs.com/blog/heartworm-resistance/

Map showing 'hot spot' of resistant heartworms: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig4_320949639
Yes, the ivermectin resistant strain of heartworms are becoming more and more prevalant in the delta but also in the hills. I always gave my dogs 1/10cc/10lbs every 30 days until my vet told me a couple years ago it really needs to be every 28 days. I know quite a few who have put there dogs on Ivermectin and also getting the 6 month shot. As cheap as Ivermectin is I cant see where that would hurt at all.
Ambusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tjc

I will definitely start monthly doses. What did y’all decide on your dog Jake?
Old 02-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

I would also take to another Vet and have them re-check for heartworms. I have a dog that tested positive after being on a preventive for over a year. Then the test was negative again. They were unsure so they tested again and said it was positive. Went on like this for a couple months. I got tired of their incompetence and I pulled my dog's charts and went to another vet. She was negative with two type tests and he gave her the 6 month shot for preventative. If she was really positive it would have killed her within hours. He was that confident she was negative. Good luck, sir...

Last edited by msurussell; 02-27-2020 at 02:49 PM.
msurussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjc View Post
I will definitely start monthly doses. What did y’all decide on your dog Jake?
Sorry I'm just seeing this Tjc. My son took the dog to another vet, and he did test positive again. This vet was able to tell us the infection is "medium," not real heavy but not light either. Sitting here this morning I cannot recall exactly what all she did (it's all written down, and my son knows), but I know he got a round of shots, then a topical heartworms medication she applied between the shoulders ("Advantage Multi?"), and sent home a bottle of pills labeled "Doxy", and I give 1 pill 2x per day for 30 days. We're about time for the 2nd topical, but no Doxy this time. I think the Doxy is every other month.

While my son is at school I'm taking care of the dog, and it's more than I want, honestly. I just wasn't set up for a hunting dog. The original plan was for the dog to stay at a deer camp where other curs live. We had permission to extend the chain-link fence out for our dog. But the heartworms changed all that because of the need for daily meds.

I'm starting another thread later asking for advice on how to provide decent living for this dog while we work through all this. FWIW, my son has been hunting the dog on weekends, and he's doing great. Lots of squirrels and coons, and my son is on cloud 9. He's been great with him, but I'm the primary care-giver Mon-Fri.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tjc

Sounds like he’s gonna do fine. That’s good. Looking forward to the future posts about caring for the dog. I plan on having a squirrel dog before next season.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks for the encouragement, Tjc.

I don't have access to most of my pics of Shine, but these were on my laptop at work. The pic of the day we got him will be very obvious. There are better ones that show how visible his hip bones were, but that's the only one I have now. The other 3 were taken at various times since, with the most recent perhaps 2 weeks ago.

Certainly, the weight looks great on him, but by far the more dramatic change has been energy and strength. Two nights ago I was walking him around the property when he caught wind of something, and for the first time he showed me what HAD TO BE all his power! It shocked me. The ground was wet and he literally pulled me about 10 yards like I was on skates. I guess my skateboarding and skiing days finally paid off! lol. The strength of this dog just amazes me.

I know I broke every rule in the book getting him "fattened up," but I don't care. He was ravenous when I took over, and it brought out my fatherly side! So I cooked for him almost as good as I do for my family, lol (not really...at least not always!). Just added a few "essentials" to his diet of dry food mixed with some canned Alpo...such as some B-grade venison (cut from the shank, flank, neck, ribs), gravy (yea..lots of gravy), leftovers, a few treats here and there. For two weeks now I've been reducing all that, with the goal of having him on dry food within another couple weeks. I'll probably always keep some wet food around, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shine first pic.jpg (39.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg shineAlli2.jpg (42.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg shinelukeaaron.jpg (28.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg shinewalking1.jpg (52.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by jakesnake66; 03-05-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tjc

Looking good!
Old 03-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjc View Post
Looking good!
Thanks, Tjc. It's been a real effort, because I want to get him out of his pen as often as possible, but in the end I'm so glad we're giving him a better life. Why anyone would have a magnificent creature like this and not treat him well is beyond me.

What do you think about the old school of thought that a "wall" must be kept between hunters and their dogs? I got preached at a few days ago by an older guy who's run beagles for half a century. He told me I was "ruining" him by even petting him. He said, "these dogs were bred for ONE JOB and one job only...to HUNT. If want to pet something go to the dog pound a get yourself a mutt. If you ain't willin' to beat his ass then you shouldn't own him."

My dad had a pack of beagles when I was young. I hated how he treated them, but he insisted it was "the only way."

What's the thinking on this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in