Need advice on heartworms - Page 3 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2020, 10:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

I've had retrievers for years, Trained them myself and they all performed at a high level. They were also my buddies. Never ever had a problem. I loved on them every day. I wouldn't change a thing. They were all spoiled rotten but listened to every command I made. When it was time for business they answered the call.
Elkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Tjc

Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2020, 10:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Tjc

I got my mountain curs a couple weeks ago. Got a 5 month old female and a 3 month old male. Both OMCBA registered. How’s your dog doing Jake?

Old 07-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjc View Post
I got my mountain curs a couple weeks ago. Got a 5 month old female and a 3 month old male. Both OMCBA registered. Hows your dog doing Jake?
AWESOME, Tjc! A year ago I'd just thought they were cute pups, but now having one in our lives I realize what it's all about. Frankly, I cannot imagine NOT having one now!

As for Shine, he's doing GREAT. Thanks for asking. We're taking him back to my sister next week to get a heartworm check. We finished his treatments about 2 weeks ago, and everyone is optimistic. He's over 10 lbs heavier than when we got him, and he holds his weight well. The only real negative is he's a barker. Most of the time it's just a little bothersome, but sometimes it's a real problem. I really don't know what to do about it - if anything.

Good luck with your two! Will you do allt he training yourself?
jakesnake66 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Tjc

Mine are barkers too. They bark just to bark. I hate to put no-bark collars on them like I do my labs. I’m afraid they will be scared to bark on tree. I think I will start mine on coons then move to squirrels. I have every night off so coon hunting won’t be a problem. I don’t have enough days to squirrel hunt to get them started. I figure a caged coon and a little time and hopefully they will figure it out.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjc View Post
I hate to put no-bark collars on them like I do my labs. Im afraid they will be scared to bark on tree. .
My thoughts exactly! Luke pushed hard to put a collar on him, but although I'm the one who deals with the barking twice as much as anyone else - working from home office - I just don't like the idea because I don't know the consequences. And he's just such a great dog otherwise. In fact, his barking is much better when we spend time with him. He's really affectionate - a bit too affectionate for a hunting dog actually - but it makes he a great combo hunting dog and pet, which for us is a good fit. We love to hunt, but we're not hard core dog people who regard them only as tools.

I'm praying he tests negative next week. He's looking great and seems to feel great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shine1.jpg (121.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg shine2.jpg (144.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #27 (permalink)

great looking dog. I just got a Ladner black mouth cur puppy a few months ago to try to use for blood trailing since my eyes are just not good anymore with age. Can't wait to put a zwickey through one's rib cage to try him out. Anybody got any training advice I would love the input. Did not mean to hijack your thread just loved the looks of that dog.
mature8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mature8pointer View Post
Did not mean to hijack your thread just loved the looks of that dog.
mature8pointer...you ddn't hijack this thread one bit! And it warms my heart that you like the looks of Shine! He's such a talented, wonderful animal, and it's made me sad to learn more about his history. Seems he was shuffled around 3-4 owners before finding us, and at least 1-2 of those owners just weren't ready for such a commitment. I won't say he was "abused," but there's no doubt in my mind he didn't receive the attention and care he deserves. It's my goal that whatever years he's got left will be spent among loving, caring people who will let him do what he was bred to do.

As for deer trailing, I cannot think of a single purpose more worthy than that one! And while I have not trained a dog to do that, one of my best hunting buddies has trained at least two. I'll ask him about it and report back.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Tjc

I’m about to build a dog yard for at least 10 dogs. Does anybody have recommendations? I was thinking about fencing off about 1/2 acre with separate pens built 5’x16’ for each dog. With the pens inside the 1/2 acre I could just open the gate to the pen and let the dogs get exercise without worrying about them getting out of the half acre. Any advice on pen size, type of wire to use, floor, roof, dog house size, feeders, waterers etc etc would be appreciated.

Mature8pointer, I’ve had friends train for blood dogs and they save blood from every deer they kill. They put the fresh blood in water bottles and freeze it for training purposes. The idea is you want the dog to trail blood, not deer. They never use a deer foot or deer hide unless it’s soaked in blood or guts. Even if the shoot a deer and it falls in sight they still let the dog trail it out. The more work they get the better they will become.

Last edited by Tjc; 07-28-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
Tjc

Jake, Ole Shine looks good. I like the solid color. Mine are both brindle. I’m wanting a solid one too.

Last edited by Tjc; 07-28-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in