Need advice on heartworms - Page 4 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2020, 10:31 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mature8pointer View Post
great looking dog. I just got a Ladner black mouth cur puppy a few months ago to try to use for blood trailing since my eyes are just not good anymore with age. Can't wait to put a zwickey through one's rib cage to try him out. Anybody got any training advice I would love the input. Did not mean to hijack your thread just loved the looks of that dog.
Most of the handlers I know and myself use more feet and hide than blood. I use a little blood to get a new dog started, but mostly just frozen legs we pull out of the freezer or a small piece of hide. Wounded deer give off a different scent that good dogs are able to pick up. Your dog shouldn’t need blood to be able to locate a deer. And if it does you’re going to leave a lot of deer in the woods.
urbanbucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 09:46 AM   #32 (permalink)

Thanks guys for giving me some ideas to help train my puppy. Someone also told me that you could get beef liver from the store and make a drag with it for the puppy to find and he would respond just like it would be a wounded deer. I just bought some to try out so I'm looking forward to seeing the dogs reaction. I don't know how many of you bow hunters have used a good dog to find your deer but it is truly amazing what they can do. I friend of mine I met this past year (Jay Graham) has a couple of black mouth cur dogs that found several deer for me that I would no doubt lost if not for them. I have trailed at least a couple hundred or more bow killed deer through the years and can't even come close to comprehending how easy this is for a dog. I just wish we would have used them 40 or 50 years ago.
mature8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanbucks View Post
Wounded deer give off a different scent that good dogs are able to pick up.
I've heard this, too - that they don't trail the blood as much as certain pheromones (other chemicals?) put off by a wounded deer. Is that true?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjc View Post
Jake, Ole Shine looks good. I like the solid color. Mine are both brindle. I’m wanting a solid one too.
Thanks Tjc! I guess we all want what we don't have, because now I find myself wanting a brindle! lol
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in