SB 2485 - Permits required for all hunting dogs - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default SB 2485 - Permits required for all hunting dogs

If you like to use hunting dogs for any purpose without having to obtain permits, guest hunter permits, turning permits into MSDWFP, etc., now would be a good time to let your senators and representatives know. This bill isn't limited to the Homichitto and has no limits on the type of hunting. I can't imagine this being very convenient to anyone - particularly squirrel hunters, duck hunters with a lab or tracking dogs that have members of a hunting party tagging along for the recovery.

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tjc

Yeah. A simple squirrel or coon hunt will be a lot more complicated!!!
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
MsH

Angry

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. MDWFP will have to staff an entire dog permit department (!) to keep up with all this. ****, they can't even afford enough game wardens to enforce the laws we already have.

I don't think people are going to take kindly to having to get a permission slip from the government to train or hunt their own dog, on their own land. Or have all dogs banned from properties that don't allow DEER dogs.

There is so much wrong with this I could go on all day, but I'll tell it to the legislature instead of here.
MsH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

x1000000 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I grew up dog hunting deer and rabbits so I guess I could say I have a soft spot for the heritage associated with gun dogs of all types. I don't dog hunt now and even get PO'ed when my hunt gets interrupted by a dog running through my hunting area but I still love that we have the choice to pursue game the way we want in Mississippi. Saying that, I totally disagree with the government sticking their nose in the rights of its citizens by overregulation. I feel this is a way for more phasing out of dog hunting in our state, mainly deer dogs. If this or any similar regulation passes it may cause dog hunters to quit hunting with dogs over time by saying it isn't worth the trouble. Ending dog hunting immediately could backfire on the MDWFP and state government because hunters would abandon their dogs and this could most likely look bad on them. Having hunting dogs is a huge responsibility and cost already. Adding to that with a permit is not what I want for my state even though I'm not a gun dog owner.
msurussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2021, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msurussell View Post
Ending dog hunting immediately could backfire on the MDWFP and state government because hunters would abandon their dogs and this could most likely look bad on them.\
There is a post on another forum I'm own about how dog hunters already abandon their dogs every year on his property. Cheaper for them to get new ones each year than to take care of the ones they have.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleAlley View Post
There is a post on another forum I'm own about how dog hunters already abandon their dogs every year on his property. Cheaper for them to get new ones each year than to take care of the ones they have.
Abandoning dogs at the end of the year isn't a concept I am familiar with. When I hunted in a camp with dogs, the owners treated the dogs in one of 2 ways: there wasn't enough money to buy a good running dog from them and dogs that wouldn't run ended up perishing from lead poisoning during the season. I am not saying that was a good practice, but that is just how it was.

Either way, it takes too dang long to train a decent dog to chunk it to the curb after the season and start over from scratch every year.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

DoyleAlley, I have had deer dogs dumped on me at the end of the year but I believe they were the result of dogs being stolen to hunt with and then dumped at the end of the season. I believe this is a way more common practice than the actual owners dumping them. As already mentioned, it takes a lot of time and money invested thus to just throw them out makes no sense.
trapperb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

The bill died in committee yesterday along with the other bill that impacted hunting with dogs.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywallace View Post
the bill died in committee yesterday along with the other bill that impacted hunting with dogs.
great news!
msurussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in